Components Weblinks Links
- 1 Overview
- 2 How to Access
- 3 Description
- 4 Screenshot
- 5 Column Headers
- 6 List Filters
- 7 Toolbar
- 8 Web Links / Categories Links
- 9 Options
- 10 Displaying Links on your Site
- 11 Letting Visitors Submit Links
- 12 Quick Tips
- 13 Related Information
Components Help Screens
The Weblinks Manager allows you to manage links to other web sites and organize them into categories.
How to Access
Select Components → Web Links → Links from the drop-down menu of the Joomla! Administrator Panel, or select the "Links" link on the Web Links Category Manager screen.
The Web Links Manager allows you to add, edit and remove links to other web sites on your Joomla! web site, and organize them into categories. You can then display these links on your site, and optionally let visitors add new links.
- Checkbox: Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Status: Published status of the item. Possible values are:
- Published: The item is published. This is the only state that will allow regular website users to view this item.
- Unpublished: The item is unpublished.
- Archived: The item has been archived.
- Trashed: The item has been sent to the Trash.
- Title. The name of the item. For a Menu Item, the Title will display in the Menu. For an Article or Category, the Title may optionally be displayed on the web page. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Category. The Category this item belongs to. See Web Links Category Manager - Edit.
- Access. The viewing Access Level for this item.
- Hits. The number of times an item has been viewed.
- Language. Item language.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
These column sorting input fields shows the current method of sorting applied to the list. Use the drop-down field choices and click the column heading name. Alternatively, click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value. This will also change the value in the drop-down field to correspond with the column header name. The list will then be sorted in order by that column and a sort icon(up or down arrow) will show next to the column name. Click a second time to reverse the sort, which will change the corresponding drop-down field.
- Ordering: (default). The column in which to sort displayed items in the table. The values are the same as the column heading names.
- Ascending (default). Shows ordering of selected column, ascending or descending.
- # (default is 20). Shows the number of items to display on one page, default is 20 items. If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons located at the bottom of the table. (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages.
You can use one of the available filters or any combination of them to limit the number of web links displayed to just those which match your filter parameters.
- To filter in title, enter part of the title and click Search.
- Click Clear to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
- To enable more Filters, click on Search Tools
Filter by Status, Category, Access, Language, Tag or Max Levels
- - Select Status -. Select a status from the drop-down list box.
- - Select Category -. Select a category from the drop-down list. There is often a default category called "Uncategorised".
- - Select Access -. Select a viewing access level from the drop-down list. See Access Levels for more information about access levels.
- - Select Language -. Select a content language from the drop-down list. See Content Languages
- - Select Tag -. Select a tag. See Tags Manager for more information about tags.
- - Select Max Levels -. Select the maximum number of levels of the category hierarchy to show.
Page Controls: When the number of items is more than one page, you will see a page control bar as shown below. The current page number being viewed is shaded.
- Start: Click to go to the first page.
- Prev: Click to go to the previous page.
- Page numbers: Click to go to the desired page.
- Next: Click to go to the next page.
- End: Click to go to the last page.
At the top you will see the toolbar:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new web link.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected web link. If more than one web link is selected (where applicable), only the first web link will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Name of the web link.
- Publish. Makes the selected web link available to visitors to your website.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected web links unavailable to visitors to your website.
- Archive. Changes the status of the selected web links to indicate that they are archived. Archived web links can be moved back to the published or unpublished state by selecting "Archived" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the web links to Published or Unpublished as preferred.
- Check-In. Checks-in the selected web links. Works with one or multiple web links selected.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected web links to indicate that they are trashed. Trashed web links can still be recovered by selecting "Trashed" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the web links to Published or Unpublished as preferred. To permanently delete trashed web links, select "Trashed" in the Select Status filter, select the web links to be permanently deleted, then click the Empty Trash toolbar icon.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
Web Links / Categories Links
At the top left, above the Filter, you will see two links as shown below:
- Web Links. This link is disabled, since we are already in the Web Links page.
- Categories. Click this link to go to the Web Links Category Manager page.
Click the Options button to open the Web Links Manager Options window which lets you configure this component.
Save / Cancel
Web Link Tab
The first tab, shown below, contains display options for Web Links in front-end pages that are displayed by Web Links menu items:
- Icon. The Icon to be displayed to the left of the Web Links URL. Select an image file from the drop-down list box. The images are listed from the 'images/M_images' folder.
- # Web links. Hide or Show the number of Web Links in each category.
These settings apply to menu items of type List All Web Link Categories, unless they are overridden in the menu item's Categories options.
- # Web links. Hide or Show the number of Web Links in each category.
List Layouts Tab
- Links description. Hide or Show the Link Description for each Web Link.
- Hits. Hide or Show the number of hits for each Web Link.
Displaying Links on your Site
One way of displaying links on your site is to use the Weblinks module to list links from a specific category. Another method is to create a menu item of type Weblinks - List All Web Link Categories or Weblinks - List Web Links in a Category to have a page display all Web Links categories, or all links within one Web Links category.
Letting Visitors Submit Links
You might also wish to let visitors submit new Web Links. To do so, simply add a Submit a Web Link menu item to one of your menus.
- You need to add at least one Category for Web Links before you can add your first Web Link. Categories are added using the Web Link Category Manager.