Menus Menu Item Manager
From Joomla! Documentation
The Menu Item Manager lists the menu items contained in a menu created using the Menu Manager.
How to access
Select Menus → [name of the menu] from the drop-down menu on the back-end of your Joomla! installation. For example, if a Menu is called "Main Menu", select Menus → Main Menu. Or you can navigate to the Menu Manager and click on the icon in the Menu Items column.
- Ordering: Up-Down Arrows User specified ordering, default is order of item creation. When active, drag and drop ordering by 'click and hold' on the bars icon then 'release' in desired position.
- Checkbox: Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Title. The name of the item. For a Menu Item, the Title will display in the Menu. For an Article or Category, the Title may optionally be displayed on the web page. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Published: Whether the item has been published or not. You can change the Published state by clicking on the icon in this column.
- Ordering: (default). The column in which to sort displayed items in the table. The values are the same as the column heading names. Note that the display order on a page can often be overridden the 'Advanced Options' section of each Menu Item.
- Access. The viewing Access Level for this item.
- Menu Item Type: The Menu Item Type selected when this menu item was created. This can be one of the core menu item types or a menu item type provided by an installed extension.
- Home. The yellow star icon designates which menu item is the current Home Page. Clicking on an empty Star icon will designate that menu item as the new Home Page.
- Language. Item language.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
At the top left you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new menu item.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected menu item. If more than one menu item is selected (where applicable), only the first menu item will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Title or Name of the menu item.
- Publish. Makes the selected menu items available to visitors to your website.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected menu items unavailable to visitors to your website.
- Check-In. Checks-in the selected menu items. Works with one or multiple menu items selected.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected menu items to indicate that they are trashed. Trashed menu items can still be recovered by selecting "Trashed" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the menu items to Published or Unpublished as preferred. To permanently delete trashed menu items, select "Trashed" in the Select Status filter, select the menu items to be permanently deleted, then click the Empty Trash toolbar icon.
- Home. Makes the page associated with the currently selected menu item the home page of your site. That is, it becomes the default page on your website.
- Rebuild. Reconstructs and refreshes the relevant table. Normally, you do not need to rebuild this table. This function is provided in case the data in the table becomes corrupted.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Select an item and click on the Home button to set your Home page.
- Set different filter options to only show some of the menu items.