Components Banners Categories
Components Help Screens
How to Access
- Select Components → Banners → Categories
- Select the Categories menu link from the Banner Manager, Banner Clients Manager or the Banner Tracks Manager in the top left sidebar.
Used to view a list of existing Banner Categories, edit current and create new Banner Categories. Note that Banner Categories are separate from other Categories, such as for Articles, Contacts, News Feeds, and Web Links. There must be at least one Banner Client and Banner Category before a Banner can be created.
Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
- Ordering: Up-Down Arrows User specified ordering, default is order of item creation. When active, drag and drop ordering by 'click and hold' on the bars icon then 'release' in desired position.
- Checkbox: Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Status. (Published/Unpublished/Trashed) The published status of the item.
- Title. The name of the item. For a Menu Item, the Title will display in the Menu. For an Article or Category, the Title may optionally be displayed on the web page. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Access. The viewing Access Level for this item.
- Language. Item language.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
Above the column headers on the right, there are 2 drop down input fields, Sort Table by: (preset to Ordering ascending) and a number (preset to 20) to display.
These column sorting input fields shows the current method of sorting applied to the table. Use the drop down field choices and click the column heading name. Alternatively, click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value. This will also change the value in the drop field to correspond with the column header name. The list will then be sorted in order by that column and a sort icon(up or down arrow) will show next to the column name. Click a second time to reverse the sort, which will change the corresponding drop field.
- Ordering: (default). The column in which to sort displayed items in the table. The values are the same as the column heading names.
- Ascending (default). Shows ordering of selected column, ascending or descending.
- # (default is 20). Shows the number of items to display on one page, default is 20 items. If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons located at the bottom of the table. (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages.
- To filter in title, enter part of the title and click Search.
- Click Clear to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
- To enable more Filters, click on Search Tools
Filter by Status, Access, Language, Tags or Max Levels
Filter by Published Status. Lets you show only items with the selected published status.
- - Select Status -: Shows items that are Published and Unpublished. Does not show items that are Trashed or Archived.
- Trashed: Shows only items that are Trashed. Important Note: To permanently delete items:
- Change the status of the items to Trashed.
- Change the Status filter to Trashed. At this point the trashed items will show and an icon called "Empty trash" will show in the toolbar.
- Select the desired trashed items and click on "Empty Trash" in the toolbar. The items will be permanently deleted.
- Unpublished: Shows only items that are Unpublished.
- Published: Shows only items that are Published.
- Archived: Shows only items that are Archived.
- All: Shows all items regardless of published status.
Filter by Viewing Access Level. Lets you show only items that have a specified viewing access level. The list box will show the access levels defined for your site, similar to the example below.
- - Select Access -: Show items with any viewing access level.
- <access level group>: Show items only with this viewing access level.
Filter by Language. Lets you show only items that have a specific language assigned. The list box will show the languages defined for your site, similar to the example below.
- - Select Language - or All: Show items for any language.
- <your language>: Show items only for this language.
Filter by Tags. Lets you show only items that have a specified tag. The list box will show the tags created for your site, similar to the example below.
- - Select Tags -: Show items with any (or no) tag(s).
- <tag>: Show items only with this tag.
Filter by Max Levels (Category Level). Lets you show only items whose category is at or above the specified level in the category hierarchy.
- - Select Max Levels -: Show all items regardless of level of their assigned category.
- 1: Only show items whose category is at the top level in the category hierarchy (in other words, with categories whose parent category is "- No Parent -".)
- 2-10: Only show items whose category is in the top 2-10 levels in the category hierarchy.
Number of Items to Display
Page Controls: When the number of items is more than one page, you will see a page control bar as shown below. The current page number being viewed is shaded.
- Start: Click to go to the first page.
- Prev: Click to go to the previous page.
- Page numbers: Click to go to the desired page.
- Next: Click to go to the next page.
- End: Click to go to the last page.
At the top you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new category.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected category. If more than one category is selected (where applicable), only the first category will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Name of the category.
- Publish. Makes the selected category available to visitors to your website.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected category unavailable to visitors to your website.
- Archive. Changes the status of the selected category to indicate that they are archived. Archived category can be moved back to the published or unpublished state by selecting "Archived" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the category to Published or Unpublished as preferred.
- Check-In. Checks-in the selected category. Works with one or multiple category selected.
- Batch. Batch processes the selected category. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Rebuild. Reconstructs and refreshes the category table. Normally, you do not need to rebuild this table. This function is provided in case the data in the table becomes corrupted.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected category to indicate that they are trashed. Trashed category can still be recovered by selecting "Trashed" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the category to Published or Unpublished as preferred. To permanently delete trashed category, select "Trashed" in the Select Status filter, select the category to be permanently deleted, then click the Empty Trash toolbar icon.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited. See Banner Manager Options for more information.
The Batch Process allows a change in settings for a group of selected items marked with a check-mark in the corresponding check-mark boxes. To use: click on the link found below the table of items being viewed to activate the drop down field area. Using the 'Batch' Toolbar button will open a pop up window as shown below.
You can change one value or all three values at one time.
- Note - if you copy items to a new category, changes you have selected from access level and language will be applied to the copies, not the original.
How to Batch Process a group of items:
- Select one or more items on the list by checking the desired category check boxes.
- Click the 'Batch' Toolbar button.
- Set one or more of the following values:
- To change the Access Levels, select the desired new access level from the Set Access Level list box.
- To change the Language, select the desired language from the Set Language list box.
- To change the Category, select a category. To leave the category unchanged, use the default value of "Select".
- To copy the items to a different category, select the desired category from the category list box and check the Copy option. In this case, the original items are unchanged and the copies are assigned to the new category and, if selected, the new access level and language.
- To move the items to a different category, select the desired category from the category list box and check the Move option. In this case, the original items will be moved to a new category and, if selected, be assigned the new access level and language.
- When all of the settings are entered, click on Process to perform the changes. A message "Batch process completed successfully." will show.
Note that nothing will happen if you (a) don't have any items selected or (b) have not selected an access level, language, or category.
If you wish to clear your entered selections, click on the Cancel button. This will return all of the Batch controls to their default values. Note that this does not uncheck the check boxes for the items.
- You must add at least one Banner Client and Banner Category before you can add a Banner.