Site Maintenance Clear Cache
From Joomla! Documentation
This tool will delete all Cache files from the cache folders - including current ones - from your web server. As admin functions are cached too, some cache folders might appear as if they were not cleaned because they get recreated before cache content is rescanned after this action.
Cache files are temporary files that are created to improve the performance of your site. If you have made significant changes to your web site, such as changing your Template or Language, your cache files may be out of date. To avoid any problems caused by out of date cache files, you can delete all of the cache files.
- Because this process deletes all Cache files, the website may be a little slower immediately after running Clean Cache. Once this process is complete, users lose the benefit of using the cache files until they are re-created by Joomla! to be up to date with your current site.
- In contrast, the Clear Expired Cache option will check each Cache file individually for being out of date, but the process is slower and requires more system resources. However, the website should perform close to the same speed for users visiting your site, since all up to date files are still available for your current Joomla! site.
How to Access
To access this screen: Select System → Clear Cache from the drop-down menus.
- Checkbox: Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Cache Group. The type of item being cached in this file. This is also the name of the subdirectory where this type of cache file is stored. The cache files are stored in the directory "<path-to-Joomla!>/cache/<Cache Group Name>".
- Number of Files. The number of files currently in this cache group.
- Size. The total size, in KB, of the cache files in this group.
Filter by Location
In the upper left area, above the column headings, there is one drop-down list box as shown below:
Only items matching the selection will be displayed in the list.
Search by Cache Group
- To filter in tables, enter part of the Table Name and click Search.
Click Clear to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
Above the column headers on the right, there are 2 drop down input fields, Sort Table by: (preset to Cache Group ascending) and a number (preset to 20) to display.
These column sorting input fields shows the current method of sorting applied to the table. Use the drop down field choices and click the column heading name. Alternatively, click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value. This will also change the value in the drop field to correspond with the column header name. The list will then be sorted in order by that column and a sort icon(up or down arrow) will show next to the column name. Click a second time to reverse the sort, which will change the corresponding drop field.
- Order. Order items will be displayed in.
- Ascending Shows ordering of selected column, ascending or descending.
- # (default is 20). Shows the number of items to display on one page, default is 20 items. If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons located at the bottom of the table. (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages.
Page Controls: When the number of items is more than one page, you will see a page control bar as shown below. The current page number being viewed is shaded.
- Start: Click to go to the first page.
- Prev: Click to go to the previous page.
- Page numbers: Click to go to the desired page.
- Next: Click to go to the next page.
- End: Click to go to the last page.
At the top you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Delete: Deletes the selected items. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Delete All: Deletes all the items. Works with all items.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
Normally you want to delete all cache files. To do this, click the check box in the column heading to select all files and then click the Delete icon in the toolbar.