From Joomla! Documentation
User Groups control what actions a user may take on the site and which objects a user can view. This screen allows you to create, view, edit, and delete User Groups.
How to access
From the administrator area, select Users → Groups from the drop-down menu of the Administration screen, or click on the Users icon in the Control Panel and select the User Groups tab.
In the table containing the users from your Joomla! site, you will see different columns. Here you can read what they mean and what is displayed in that column.
- Checkbox: Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Group Title. The name of the group.
- Enabled users. The number of enabled users in this group.
- Disabled users. The number of disabled users in this group.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
At the top left you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new user group.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected user group. If more than one user group is selected (where applicable), only the first user group will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Name of the user group.
- Delete: Deletes the selected user groups. Works with one or multiple user groups selected. If you delete a group that has users assigned to it, those users will lose the permissions they had from that group. It is recommended to remove all users from a group before you delete the group.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
Filter by Partial User Name
- Search User Groups. In the upper left is a Search field and two buttons, as shown below.
Enter part of the group's name and press the Search to find matching names. Press x or Clear to clear the search field and restore the list of groups.
- Click on the name of a group to edit the group's properties.