Components Tags Manager
From Joomla! Documentation
Components Help Screens
The Components: Tags back-end screen allows you to manage the Tags of your site.
How to Access
Select Components → Tags from the drop-down menu of the Joomla! Administrator Panel.
Used to view a list of existing Tags, edit current and create new Tags.
In the table containing Tags, these are the different columns shown below. Click on the column heading on the Tags manager screen to sort the list by that column's value.
- Ordering: Up-Down Arrows User specified ordering, default is order of item creation. When active, drag and drop ordering by 'click and hold' on the bars icon then 'release' in desired position.
- Checkbox: Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Status. (Published/Unpublished/Trashed) The published status of the item.
- Title. The name of the item. For a Menu Item, the Title will display in the Menu. For an Article or Category, the Title may optionally be displayed on the web page. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Access. The viewing Access Level for this item.
- Language. Item language.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
The List Filters, show above the table on the left and on the right. These filters are controls that let you limit what items show in the manager screen. More than one filter may be entered. In this case, only items that meet all of the filter conditions will show on the list.
Above the column headers on the right, there are 2 drop down input fields, Sort Table by: (preset to Ordering ascending) and a number (preset to 20) to display.
These column sorting input fields shows the current method of sorting applied to the table. Use the drop down field choices and click the column heading name. Alternatively, click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value. This will also change the value in the drop field to correspond with the column header name. The list will then be sorted in order by that column and a sort icon(up or down arrow) will show next to the column name. Click a second time to reverse the sort, which will change the corresponding drop field.
- Ordering: (default). The column in which to sort displayed items in the table. The values are the same as the column heading names.
- Ascending (default). Shows ordering of selected column, ascending or descending.
- # (default is 20). Shows the number of items to display on one page, default is 20 items. If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons located at the bottom of the table. (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages.
Filter by Partial Title
Search Title In the upper left is a filter or search field and two buttons, as shown below.
- To filter in title, enter part of the title and click Search.
- Click X to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
Filter by Published State, Access, Language, Max Levels and Tag Type
Filter by Published Status. Lets you show only items with the selected published status.
- - Select Status -: Shows items that are Published and Unpublished. Does not show items that are Trashed or Archived.
- Trashed: Shows only items that are Trashed. Important Note: To permanently delete items:
- Change the status of the items to Trashed.
- Change the Status filter to Trashed. At this point the trashed items will show and an icon called "Empty trash" will show in the toolbar.
- Select the desired trashed items and click on "Empty Trash" in the toolbar. The items will be permanently deleted.
- Unpublished: Shows only items that are Unpublished.
- Published: Shows only items that are Published.
- Archived: Shows only items that are Archived.
- All: Shows all items regardless of published status.
Filter by Viewing Access Level. Lets you show only items that have a specified viewing access level. The list box will show the access levels defined for your site, similar to the example below.
- - Select Access -: Show items with any viewing access level.
- <access level group>: Show items only with this viewing access level.
Filter by Language. Lets you show only items that have a specific language assigned. The list box will show the languages defined for your site, similar to the example below.
- - Select Language - or All: Show items for any language.
- <your language>: Show items only for this language.
Filter by Max Levels (Category Level). Lets you show only items whose category is at or above the specified level in the category hierarchy.
- - Select Max Levels -: Show all items regardless of level of their assigned category.
- 1: Only show items whose category is at the top level in the category hierarchy (in other words, with categories whose parent category is "- No Parent -".)
- 2-10: Only show items whose category is in the top 2-10 levels in the category hierarchy.
Page Controls: When the number of items is more than one page, you will see a page control bar as shown below. The current page number being viewed is shaded.
- Start: Click to go to the first page.
- Prev: Click to go to the previous page.
- Page numbers: Click to go to the desired page.
- Next: Click to go to the next page.
- End: Click to go to the last page.
At the top left you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new tag.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected tag. If more than one tag is selected (where applicable), only the first tag will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Name of the tag.
- Publish. Makes the selected tag available to visitors to your website.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected tag unavailable to visitors to your website.
- Archive. Changes the status of the selected tag to indicate that they are archived. Archived tag can be moved back to the published or unpublished state by selecting "Archived" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the tag to Published or Unpublished as preferred.
- Check-In. Checks-in the selected tag. Works with one or multiple tag selected.
- Batch. Batch processes the selected tag. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected tag to indicate that they are trashed. Trashed tag can still be recovered by selecting "Trashed" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the tag to Published or Unpublished as preferred. To permanently delete trashed tag, select "Trashed" in the Select Status filter, select the tag to be permanently deleted, then click the Empty Trash toolbar icon.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.