Components Banners Categories Edit
From Joomla! Documentation
Components Help Screens
Used to add or edit banner component categories.
How to Access
Navigate to the Banner Category Manager, Components → Banners → Categories
- New. Click on New icon in toolbar.
- Edit. To edit an existing Banner Category, click on the Category's Name in the table of categories, or check the Category's checkbox and press the Edit icon in the toolbar.
This is where you can add a new Banner Category or edit an existing one. Note that you need to create at least one Banner Category before you can create a Banner. Also, Banner Categories are separate from other types of Categories, such as those for Articles, Contacts, and News Feeds.
- Title. The Title for this item. This may or may not display on the page, depending on the parameter values you choose.
- Alias. The internal name of the item, also used in the URL when SEF is activated. Normally, you can leave this blank and Joomla! will fill in a default value. The default value is the Title or Name in lower case and with dashes instead of spaces. You may enter the Alias manually. The Alias should consist of lowercase letters and hyphens (-). No blank spaces or underscores are allowed. Non-Latin characters can be allowed in the alias if you set the Unicode Aliases option to Yes in Global Configuration. If this option is set to No and the title includes non-Latin characters, the Alias will default to the current date and time (for example "2012-12-31-17-54-38").
- Description. The description for the item. Category, Subcategory and Web Link descriptions may be shown on web pages, depending on the parameter settings. These descriptions are entered using the same editor that is used for Articles.
- Article. Click to quickly add an 'Article' link to the description with a popup window.
- Image. Click to quickly add an 'Image' to the description with a popup window.
Toggle Editor. If you are using the TinyMCE editor, a Toggle Editor button will show just below the edit window. This button allows you to toggle between the TinyMCE editor and No Editor.
- Parent. The item (category, menu item, and so on) that is the parent of the item being edited.
- Status. (Published/Unpublished/Archived/Trashed) The published status of the item.
- Access. Who has access to this item. Default options are:
- Public: Everyone has access
- Guest: Everyone has access
- Registered: Only registered users have access
- Special: Only users with author status or higher have access
- Super Users: Only super users have access
- Enter the desired level using the drop-down list box. Custom Access Control Levels created will show if they exist.
- Language. Item language.
- Tags. Enter one or more optional tags for this item. You can select existing tags by entering in the first few letters. You may also create new tags by entering them here. Tags allow you to see lists of related items across content types (for example, articles, contacts, and categories).
- Note. Item note. This is normally for the site administrator's use (for example, to document information about this item) and does not show in the front end of the site.
- Version Note. Optional field to identify this version of the item in the item's Version History window.
This shows Options for this Category, as shown below when tab is clicked:
- Layout. Use a different layout from the supplied components view or overrides in the templates.
- Image. Choose an image to be displayed with this item/category in the front-end.
- Alt Text. Alternative text used for visitors without access to images.
This section shows Publishing Options parameters for this Category, as shown below when tab is clicked:
The grayed out fields are for information only and may not be edited.
- Created Date. Date the item (Article, Category, Weblink, etc.) was created.
- Created By. Optional, choose from a popup window of users. Select User by clicking on the user's name. Defaults to user creating new category if left blank.
- Modified Date. (Informative only) Date of last modification.
- Modified By. (Informative only) Username who performed the last modification.
- Hits. Number of hits on a Category view.
- Meta Description. An optional paragraph to be used as the description of the page in the HTML output. This will generally display in the results of search engines. If entered, this creates an HTML meta element with a name attribute of "description" and a content attribute equal to the entered text.
- Meta Keywords. Optional entry for keywords. Must be entered separated by commas (for example, "cats, dogs, pets") and may be entered in upper or lower case. (For example, "CATS" will match "cats" or "Cats"). Keywords can be used in several ways:
- To help Search Engines and other systems classify the content of the Article.
- In combination with Banner tags, to display specific Banners based on the Article content. For example, say you have one Banner with an ad for dog products and another Banner for cat products. You can have your dog Banner display when a User is viewing a dog-related Article and your cat Banner display for a cat-related Article. To do this, you would:
- For articles only, in combination with the Related Articles module, to display Articles that share at least one keyword in common. For example, if the current Article displayed has the keywords "cats, dogs, monkeys", any other Articles with at least one of these keywords will show in the Related Articles module.
- Author. Optional entry for an Author name within the metadata. If entered, this creates an HTML meta element with the name attribute of "author" and the content attribute as entered here.
- Robots. The instructions for web "robots" that browse to this page.
- Use Global: Use the value set in the Component→Options for this component.
- Index, Follow: Index this page and follow the links on this page.
- No index, Follow: Do not index this page, but still follow the links on the page. For example, you might do this for a site map page where you want the links to be indexed but you don't want this page to show in search engines.
- Index, No follow: Index this page, but do not follow any links on the page. For example, you might want to do this for an events calendar, where you want the page to show in search engines but you do not want to index each event.
- No index, no follow: Do not index this page or follow any links on the page.
This section shows permissions for this category. The screen shows as follows.
To change the permissions for this extension, do the following.
- Select the Group by clicking its title located on the left.
- Find the desired Action. Possible Actions are:
- Configure ACL & Optons. Users can edit the options and persimissions of this extension.
- Configure Optons Only. Users can edit the options exept the persimissions of this extension.
- Access Administration Interface. Users can access user administration interface of this extension.
- Create: Users can create content of this extension.
- Delete: Users can delete content of this extension.
- Edit: Users can edit content of this extension.
- Edit State: User can change the published state and related information for content of this extension.
- Edit Own: Users can edit own created content of this extension.
- Select the desired permission for the action you wish to change. Possible settings are:
- Inherited: Inherited for users in this Group from the Global Configuration permissions of this extension.
- Allowed: Allowed for users in this Group. Note that, if this action is Denied at one of the higher levels, the Allowed permission here will not take effect. A Denied setting cannot be overridden.
- Denied: Denied for users in this Group.
- Click Save in Toolbar at top. When the screen refreshes, the Calculated Setting column will show the effective permission for this Group and Action.
At the top you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the category and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the category and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the category and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another category.
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current category. Does not affect the current category. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new category.
- Versions: Opens the Item Version History window to show any prior versions of this item. This allows you to view older versions of this item and, if desired, restore from an older version. See Version History for more information.
- Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.