Extensions Extension Manager Discover
From Joomla! Documentation
This screen allows you to discover extensions that have not gone through the normal installation process. This provides a method to install large extensions which are not possible to install using the normal process. For example, some extensions are too large in file size to upload using the web interface due to limitations of the web hosting environment. Using this feature you can upload extension files directly to your web server using some other means such as FTP or SFTP and place those extension files into the appropriate directory. You can then use the discover feature to find the newly uploaded extension and activate it in your Joomla! installation. Using the discover operation you can also discover and install multiple extensions at the same time.
An extension can be installed with the discover function by doing the following steps:
- Upload the uncompressed extension files to the appropriate directory in your Joomla! installation. For example, if you wanted to upload a site template extension to your Joomla! installation you would create a directory for the template extension in the /templates sub-directory of your Joomla! installation. Then you would upload the template extension files into that directory you created.
- After you have uploaded the extension files, go back to the Extension Manager Discover screen and click the Discover button in the toolbar. This will initiate the search function which will search your Joomla! extension directories looking for uninstalled extensions.
- If the extension you uploaded is compatible with Joomla! 3.x and is not already installed, it will appear in the listing of discovered extensions in this screen.
- Click the check-box to the left of the discovered extension and then click the Install button in the toolbar. This will install the extension into your Joomla! installation.
How to Access
Select Extensions → Manage → Discover from the drop-down menu of the Joomla! Administrator Panel. Or select the Discover menu button in the Extension manager screen that appears.
- Checkbox: Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Name. The name of the extension.
- Location. Specifies if this is a site or administrator extension.
- Type. The extension type - module, plug-in, template, language.
- Version. The version number of the Extension.
- Date. The date this extension was released.
- Author. The author of this extension.
- Folder. If the extension is a plug-in, the subdirectory of your Joomla! installation's /plugins directory where the extension is located. By default Joomla! 3.x has the following subdirectories in the plugins directory which each represent the different types of plug-ins that are defined by default: authentication, content, editors, editors-xtd, extension, search, system, user.
- ID. The ID number. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, for example in internal links. You cannot change this number.
These column sorting input fields shows the current method of sorting applied to the table. Use the drop down field choices and click the column heading name. Alternatively, click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value. This will also change the value in the drop field to correspond with the column header name. The list will then be sorted in order by that column and a sort icon(up or down arrow) will show next to the column name. Click a second time to reverse the sort, which will change the corresponding drop field.
- Order. Order items will be displayed in.
- Ascending Shows ordering of selected column, ascending or descending.
- # (default is 20). Shows the number of items to display on one page, default is 20 items. If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons located at the bottom of the table. (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages.
You can use one of the available filters or any combination of them to limit the number of extensions displayed to just the extensions which match your filter parameters.
- To filter in title, enter part of the title and click Search icon.
- Click Clear to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
- To enable more Filters, click on Search Tools.
Filter by Location, Type and Folder
- -Select Location-. Select an extension client from the drop-down list box of available locations.
- Site. Site extensions are extensions which are designed for use in areas outside of the administrator interface.
- Administrator. Administrator extensions are for the back-end administrative functions of your Joomla! installation. Usually you would only directly interact with these extensions through the administrator web interface.
- -Select Type-. Select the extension type from the drop-down list box of available types.
- -Select Folder-. Select a plug-in folder from the drop-down list box of available folders. There is a separate folder for each type of plug-in defined in your installation of Joomla.
Page Controls: When the number of items is more than one page, you will see a page control bar as shown below. The current page number being viewed is shaded.
- Start: Click to go to the first page.
- Prev: Click to go to the previous page.
- Page numbers: Click to go to the desired page.
- Next: Click to go to the next page.
- End: Click to go to the last page.
At the top you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Install. Installs the selected extension.
- Discover. Searches the Joomla! installation directories for uninstalled extensions. Any uninstalled extensions found will be displayed in the extension listing. Caches the search results so they continue to be displayed on subsequent visits to this screen.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
If you have many extensions you want to install you can upload them all into the appropriate directories of your Joomla! installation and then use this screen to discover all of them in one operation. You can then install all of the extensions in one step by selecting all of them and pressing the Install button in the toolbar.
- If you install a Component Extension, it will be listed as a new Menu Item in the Components menu.
- You can assign a Menu Item to an installed Component Extension in the Menu Item Manager by clicking the New toolbar button. The new Component will show in the Internal Link list of Menu Item Types.
- If you install a Module Extension, it will be added to the list of the Modules in the Module Manager, where you can enable/disable it. You can also customize it's parameters in the Module Edit screen.
- An installed Plugin Extension will be added to the list of the Plugin Manager, where you can enable/disable it. You can also customize its parameters in the Plugin Edit screen.
- An installed Template Extension will be added to the Site or Administrator list of the Template Manager where you can assign it to all of the pages or to the selected ones. You can also customize its parameters, edit the HTML or CSS source, or preview the available Module positions.
- An installed Language Extension will be added to the Site or Administrator list of the Language Manager, depending on the client attribute of the Extension. This screen let's you assign it as the default language, if desired.