Extensions Extension Manager Update/nl
From Joomla! Documentation
This screen allows you to update installed extensions. You will only be able to update extensions which support this feature.For extensions which support this feature, you will be able to perform an in-place update of the extension without having to upload and install the updated extension files like you did with previous versions of Joomla!. The update feature utilizes standard HTTP connection mechanisms to download the extension update files from a remote update server.
How to Access
Select Extensions → Manage → Update from the drop-down menu of the Joomla! Administrator Panel. Or select the Update menu item in the Extension manager screen that appears.
- Checkbox: Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Name. The name of the extension.
- Location. Specifies if this is a site or administrator extension.
- Type. The extension type. Examples of extension types are module, plug-in, template, component, language or package.
- Installed. The version number of the currently installed extension.
- Available. The version number of the available update.
- Folder. If the extension is a plug-in, the subdirectory of your Joomla! installation's /plugins directory where the extension is located. By default Joomla! has the following subdirectories in the plugins directory which each represent the different types of plug-ins that are defined: authentication, content, editors, editors-xtd, extension, search, system, user.
- Install Type. The type of installation that will be performed by the update. Usually this will be type Update which will perform an in-place update of the extension.
- URL Details. The URL for the extension update XML file which contains the information needed by your Joomla! installation to perform the update.
These column sorting input fields shows the current method of sorting applied to the table. Use the drop down field choices and click the column heading name. Alternatively, click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value. This will also change the value in the drop field to correspond with the column header name. The list will then be sorted in order by that column and a sort icon(up or down arrow) will show next to the column name. Click a second time to reverse the sort, which will change the corresponding drop field.
- Order. Order items will be displayed in.
- Ascending Shows ordering of selected column, ascending or descending.
- # (default is 20). Shows the number of items to display on one page, default is 20 items. If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons located at the bottom of the table. (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages.
You can use one of the available filters or any combination of them to limit the number of extensions displayed to just the extensions which match your filter parameters.
- To filter in title, enter part of the title and click Search.
- Click Clear to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
- To enable more Filters, click on Search Tools
Filter by Location, Type and Folder
- -Select Location-. Select an extension client from the drop-down list box of available locations.
- Site. Site extensions are extensions which are designed for use in areas outside of the administrator interface.
- Administrator. Administrator extensions are for the back-end administrative functions of your Joomla! installation. Usually you would only directly interact with these extensions through the administrator web interface.
- -Select Type-. Select the extension type from the drop-down list box of available types.
- -Select Folder-. Select a plug-in folder from the drop-down list box of available folders. There is a separate folder for each type of plug-in defined in your installation of Joomla.
Page Controls: When the number of items is more than one page, you will see a page control bar as shown below. The current page number being viewed is shaded.
- Start: Click to go to the first page.
- Prev: Click to go to the previous page.
- Page numbers: Click to go to the desired page.
- Next: Click to go to the next page.
- End: Click to go to the last page.
At the top you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Update: Updates the selected extension(s).
- Find Updates. Scans your Joomla! installation and locates extensions with an available update.
- Clear Cache. Clear the available extension update information displayed in the listing.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
- Only extensions which support the Joomla! update system will be listed in this screen. If you use extensions which do not support the new update system or you are not sure, consult the extension developer's website.
- It is critical to keep your extensions up-to-date. Failure to do so may expose a vulnerability in your Joomla! installation which can be exploited by hackers.
- It is recommended to backup your Joomla! installation files and database before attempting to update extensions or the Joomla! installation itself. This will ensure that you can restore your Joomla! installation to its previous state if the update fails or causes unexpected results.