Help39:Extensions Template Manager Templates Edit Source
From Joomla! Documentation
This screen is where the source code of template files is edited. It provides a plain text interface to edit the template files. HTML and PHP programming syntax is highlighted to make the source code files easier to read.
How to Access
Navigate to the Template Manager: Customise Template screen. Click on the name of the template you want to edit. Then click the link to the template file that you want to edit.
Details and Options
Source Code. The contents of the selected template file is displayed and editible here.
At the top you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the item and closes the current screen.
- Copy Template. Copy template by using a new template name.
- Template Preview. Open a window showing frontend startpage.
- Manage Folders. Create or delete folders.
- New File. Create different file types, upload or copy files.
- Rename File. Rename selected file.
- Delete File. Delete selected file.
- Close File. Close open file.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Important: Do not delete the default template files using FTP because it generates an error in both the front-end and back-end.
- Before editing the HTML and the CSS file of the template, it is a good idea to make a backup of the file you are editing. Also, you can edit these files outside of Joomla! using the HTML or CSS editor of your choice.