Menus Menu Item Article Single Article
From Joomla! Documentation
How To Access
To create a new Single Articles Menu Item:
- Select Menus → [name of the menu] from the drop-down menu on the back-end of your Joomla! installation (for example, Menus → Main Menu).
- Click the New Toolbar button to create a new menu item.
- Click the Menu Item Type Select button and then click the Single Articles link under Articles link.
To edit an existing Single Articles Menu Item, click its Title in Menu Manager: Menu Items.
Used to show one article in the front end of the site.
The Single Article Layout has the following required settings:
- Menu Title: The title that will display for this menu item.
- Menu Item Type: The Menu Item Type selected when this menu item was created. This can be one of the core menu item types or a menu item type provided by an installed extension.
- Menu. Shows which menu the link will appear in.
- Select Article. This field holds the article to be shown in this layout. Press the Select/Change button to open the article selection modal window, as shown below.
- This screen is similar to the Article Manager. You can use the Filter fields to find the desired article and then click on the article's Title to select it. At that point, the modal window will close and the title will show in the Select Article field.
Advanced Details Tab
The Single Article Layout has the following Article Options, as shown below. These options determine how the article will show on the Front End Site layout.
Note that these options include "Use Global". If this is selected, the setting from the Article Manager Options will be used.
- Show Title. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show the Article's Title.
- Linked Titles. (Use Global/No/Yes). If the Article's Title is shown, whether to show it as a link to the article.
- Show Intro Text. (Use Global/Hide/Show). If set to Show, the Intro Text of the article will show when you drill down to the article. If set to Hide, only the part of the article after the "Read More" break will show.
- Position of Article Info. (Use Global/Use Article Settings/Above/Below/Split). Puts the article information block above or below the text or splits it into two separate blocks. One block is above and the other is below.
- Article Info Title. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Displays the 'Article Info' title on top of the article information block.
- Show Category. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show the Article's Category.
- Link Category. (Use Global/No/Yes). If the Article's Category is shown, whether to show it as a link to a Category layout (list or blog) for that Category.
- Show Parent. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show the Article's Parent Category.
- Link Parent. (Use Global/No/Yes). If the Article's Parent Category is shown, whether to show it as a link to a Category layout (list or blog) for that Category.
- Show Associations. Multilingual only. If set to Show, the associated articles flags or URL Language Code will be displayed.
- Show Author. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to show the author of the Article.
- Link Author. (Use Global/No/Yes). If the Article's author is shown, whether to show it as a link to a Contact layout for that author. Note that the author must be set up as a Contact in Contact Manager: Edit.
- Show Create Date. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show the Article's create date.
- Show Modify Date. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show the Article's modify date.
- Show Publish Date. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show the Article's start publishing date.
- Show Navigation. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show a navigation link (for example, Next or Previous article) when you drill down to the article.
- Show Voting. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show the a voting icon for the article. Note: The Plugin Content - Vote has to be enabled.
- Show Icons. (Use Global/Hide/Show). If set to Show, Print and Email will use icons instead of text.
- Show Print. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Show or Hide the Print Article button.
- Show Email. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Show or Hide the Email Article button.
- Show Hits. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Show or Hide the number of times the article has been hit (displayed by a user).
- Tags. Show or hide the tags for this item.
- Use Global: Use the default value from the contacts options screen.
- Show: Show to allow users to select a contact in a drop down list.
- Hide: Do not display the Contact list.
- Show Unauthorised Links. (Use Global/No/Yes). If Yes, the Intro Text for restricted articles will show. Clicking on the "Read More" link will require users to log in to view the full article content.
- Positioning of the Links. (Use Global/Above/Below). If Above, links are shown above the content. Otherwise they are shown below the content.
See Menu Item Manager: Edit/New Menu Item for help on fields common to all Menu Item types which includes:
Module Assignments Tab
At the top left you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the menu item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the menu item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the menu item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another menu item.
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current menu item. Does not affect the current menu item. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new menu item.
- Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
If you have a Single Article Layout defined for an article, that layout will show any time a user drills down to that article. For example, if an article is shown on another menu item type (for example, in a Category Blog or List Layout or a Featured Articles Layout), the user will be taken to the Single Article Layout for that article (if defined).
- Articles are created using Article Manager: Add or Edit.
|Related Help Screens||Description|
|Components Article Manager Options||Used to set global defaults for menu items that display articles. These default values will be used when "Use Global" is selected for an option in an Articles menu item. For example, to show the 'Create Date' for an article in your Articles menu items, then set that option to "Show" here and it will be the default value. You do not need to set any of these options. Your Joomla site will work with the default settings.|
|Content Article Manager||The Article Manager is used to find, mark featured, add and edit articles. See Toolbar below for a detailed list of all functions.|
|Content Article Manager Edit||This is the back-end screen where you can add and edit Articles. The same screen is used for adding a new Article and editing an existing Article. You can also select the Section and Category for an Article and indicate whether or not it is Published and if it is selected to appear on the Front Page.
The Article's content is edited using the default editor selected in the User Manager - New/Edit. The Joomla! default editor is called TinyMCE. A number of Parameters can be set for the Article. Metadata can also be entered.
|Content Featured Articles||Used to control which 'Featured Articles' are displayed on the Front Page and in what order they are displayed. The Front Page is often the Home page of a web site, but it can be any page in the site. The Front Page is created using a Menu Item with the Front Page layout.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Archived||Used to show a list of Archived Articles. The Archived Article list can be displayed by date, filtered, and intro text added as shown below.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Categories||Used to show a list of Categories. Categories are shown in a hierarchical list, as shown below. Depending on the selected options for this layout, you can click on a category Title to show the articles in that category.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Category Blog||Used to show articles belonging to a specific Category in a blog layout. Controls the Introduction or Leading Article, additional Articles with intro text, and additional links to more Articles in the same category. Some examples of settings for the Blog Layout format include: number of articles, article columns, across or down layouts, and number of additional links. See the Advanced Details Tab for all this menu item.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Category List||Used to show articles belonging to a specific Category in a list layout.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Create||Allows users to submit an article. Normally this is available only to users who have logged in to the front end of the site. Users must have permission to create articles. When the Create Article page is shown in the front end, the screen shows as examples in the following Front End Screenshots section.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Featured||Used to show all Articles that have been tagged as Featured. Articles are shown in a Blog Layout.|