Menus Menu Item Search Results
From Joomla! Documentation
Used to create a 'Search Form or Search Results' page for users to search site's content. Additional, used to control output look of search results or 'can' the results of a search with a menu link for preset search term or terms.
How to Access
Add a new menu item 'Search Form or Search Results'
- Select Menus → [name of the menu] → Add New Menu Item from the dropdown menu of the Administrator Panel
- Select Search → Search Form or Search Results in the modal popup window.
Edit an existing menu item 'Search Form or Search Results'
- Click on the menu item's Title in the Menu Manager.
For more information please see Menu Item Manager: Details Tab
- Menu Title. The title that will display for this menu item.
- Menu Item Type. The Menu Item Type selected when this menu item was created. This can be one of the core menu item types or a menu item type provided by an installed extension.
- Menu. Shows which menu the menu item will appear in.
- Search Term. Used to set a 'canned' search word, words or phrase when Menu Item Search Results is clicked. See Quick Tips for more details.
- Use Search Options. (Use Global/No/Yes) Show the search options.
- Use Search Areas. (Use Global/No/Yes) Show the search areas checkboxes for Articles, Categories, Contacts, or Newsfeeds.
- Created Date. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show created date.
Default Search Options
- Search For. (All Words/Any Words/Exact Phrase) The type of search. Search for All Words, Any Words or Exact Phrase.
- Results Ordering: Defines what ordering results are listed in.
- Newest First: Show newest item first.
- Oldest First: Show oldest item first.
- Popularity: Show by popularity of item, number of page hits.
- Alphabetical: Show in alphabetical order.
- Category: Show in category order.
See Menu Item Manager: Edit/New Menu Item for help on fields common to all Menu Item types which includes:
Module Assignments Tab
At the top left you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the menu item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the menu item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the menu item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another menu item.
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current menu item. Does not affect the current menu item. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new menu item.
- Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
Front End Screenshot
Example Front End Site images are generic images using Joomla! core installation supplied free Front End Templates. The actual view can depend on the installed custom template used and the template's style for those views on a Joomla! website.
Canning Search Results. To 'can' search results (force a desired search term), use the Search Term optional setting. This optional field will force a search term or terms into the search field when a user clicks on a Menu 'Link' to a 'Search Results' Menu Item. For example, a user clicks a Menu Item called, 'More Joomla! Articles'. The search term field could contain the word, Joomla!. The filled optional field would show the search component page with the word Joomla! pre-filled in the search field and showing the results of 'Joomla!' searched on the website.
|Related Help Screens||Description|
|Components Finder Manage Search Filters||This screen shows the static search filters currently available for use in Smart Search|
|Components Finder Manage Search Filters Edit||This screen allows you to create a new search filter or amend an existing one.|
|Components Search||The Search Statistics screen allows you to see how many searches were done for each keyword combination and how many results were returned for each search.|
|Components Search Manager Options||Details on Component Options, Details on Permissions configuration|
|Extensions Module Manager Search||This Module displays a Search entry field where the user can type in a phrase and press 'Enter' to search the web site.|
|Extensions Module Manager Smart Search||Smart Search is an enhanced site search.|
|Menus Menu Item Finder Search||Used to create a page for Smart Search Results, which can be used in conjunction with a Smart Search module to control Search Results Page's layout. Ability to 'can' Smart Search results to specific filters to control a search.|