Menus Menu Item Weblink Category
From Joomla! Documentation
How To Access
To create a new List Web Links in a Category Menu Item:
- Select Menus → [name of the menu] from the drop-down menu on the back-end of your Joomla! installation (for example, Menus → Main Menu).
- Click the New Toolbar button to create a new menu item.
- Click the Menu Item Type Select button and then click the List Web Links in a Category Menu Item link under Weblinks link.
To edit an existing List Web Links in a Category Menu Item, click its Title in Menu Manager: Menu Items.
Used to show a list of Web Links in a Category. Categories are shown in a hierarchical list, parent with child (sub) categories. Depending on the selected layout options, click on a category Title to show the Web Links in that category or sub categories.
For more information please see Menu Item Manager: Details Tab
This layout requires a category selection. This is done in the list box shown above in the screenshot. All child categories of the selected category will show in the layout if sub categories are shown.
- Menu Title: The title that will display for this menu item.
- Menu Item Type: The Menu Item Type selected when this menu item was created. This can be one of the core menu item types or a menu item type provided by an installed extension.
- Choose a Category. The items that are within this category will be displayed.
- Menu: Shows which menu the link will appear in.
Advanced Details Tab
Category Options control the appearance of the screen when you click on a category link. The following options are available.
- Category Title. (Use Global/Hide/Show) If Show, the Category Title will show as a subheading on the page. The subheading is usually displayed inside the H2 tag.
- Category Description. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or hide the description of the selected Category.
- Category Image. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or hide the image of the selected Category.
- Subcategory Levels. (Use Global/All/1-5) The number of subcategory levels to display. Select All to show all levels in the subcategory hierarchy.
- Empty Categories. (Use Global/Hide/Show) If Show, empty categories will display. A category is only empty if it has no items or subcategories.
- Subcategories Descriptions. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or hide the subcategories descriptions.
- # Web links. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or hide the number of 'Web Links' in each category.
List Layout Options
The List Layout Options control the appearance of the category drill-down page when that is presented as a Category List. The following options are available:
- Filter Field: (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to show a Filter field for the list. Select Hide to hide the filer field
- Display Select. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to hide or show the Display # control that allows the user to select the number of items to show in the list. An example of how it is shown in the Front End (website) view below.
- If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages. Note that if you have a large number of items, it may be helpful to use the Filter options, located above the column headings, to limit which items display.
- Table Headings. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Table Headings show a heading above a list, like generic heading image shown below.
- If set to Show, this heading will show above the list. If set to Hide, the list will show with no headings.
- Links Description. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or hide the description of the list of links.
- Hits. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or hide the number of hits (refers to # of clicks) to a link in the list of links.
- Pagination. Hide or Show Pagination support. Pagination provides page links at the bottom of the page that allow the User to navigate to additional pages. These are needed if the listed items will not fit on one page. An example is shown below.
- The following options are available.
- Use Global: Use the default value from the component options screen.
- Auto: Pagination links shown if needed.
- Show: Pagination links shown if needed.
- Hide: Pagination links not shown. Note: In this case, Users will not be able to navigate to additional pages.
- Pagination Results. Hide or Show the current page number and total pages (e.g., "Page 1 of 2") at the bottom of each page. Use Global will use the default value from the component options.
Module Assignments Tab
At the top left you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the menu item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the menu item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the menu item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another menu item.
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current menu item. Does not affect the current menu item. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new menu item.
- Cancel. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Categories can be "nested" into levels, similar to folders on a disk drive. In theory there is no absolute limit on the number of levels you can have. However, as a practical matter it is recommended to keep the levels to a minimum. The Show All Categories layout may not work correctly if the number of levels shown is greater than five.
- If you set up category titles as linkable, the user can drill down on the category. If there is a pre-existing menu item for this category (for example, a Category List menu item), then that menu item will show in the drill down and the options set for that menu item will control the page display. Otherwise, the options set for the current Show All Categories menu item will control the page display.
- You can set the option to drill down to a list in two places.
- Categories are created using Category Manager: Edit A Web Links Category.
|Related Help Screens||Description|
|Components Weblinks Categories||The Web Links Category Manager is where you can edit existing Web Links Categories and create new ones. Note that Web Links Categories are separate from other Categories, such as Categories for Articles, Banners, News Feeds, and Contacts. From this screen, you can also navigate to the Web Links Manager screen.|
|Components Weblinks Categories Edit||This is where you can add a new Web Link Category or edit an existing one. Note that you need to create at least one Web Link Category before you can create a Web Link. Also, Web Link Categories are separate from other types of Categories, such as those for Articles, Banners, and News Feeds.|
|Components Weblinks Links||The Weblinks Manager allows you to add, edit and remove links to other web sites on your Joomla! web site, and organize them into categories. You can then display these links on your site, and optionally let visitors add new links.|
|Components Weblinks Links Edit||This is where you add a new Web Link or edit an existing one. Note that you need to create at least one Web Links Category before you can create your first Web Link.|
|Extensions Module Manager Weblinks||The Weblinks module will display weblinks from within the Weblinks component.|
|Menus Menu Item Weblink Categories||Used to show a list of all Web Link Categories. Categories are shown in a hierarchical list, as shown below. Depending on the selected options for this layout, you can click on a category Title to show the Web Links in that category.|
|Menus Menu Item Weblink Submit||Used to show a Web Link submission form in Front End (website) allowing users with permission to submit Web Links.|