From Joomla! Documentation
Banners are blocks of content containing advertising information. Each banner has a Client, the person paying for the information, and a Track record, the number of times the banner has been selected. A site may have several banners in different locations. The Banners screen shows a list of existing Banners with links to edit current and create new Banners. There must be at least one Banner Client and one Banner Category before a Banner can be created.
How to Access
- Select Components → Banners → Banners from the Administrator menu.
- Or Select a numbered button in the Banner Categories Manager or the Banner Clients Manager pages.
In the table containing Banners the different columns are listed below. Click on the column heading on the banner manager screen to sort the list by that column's value.
- Checkbox: Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Ordering. You can change the order of an item within a list as follows:
- If the list Filter Options include a Position filter select the desired Position. This will limit the list to items that are assigned to that Position.
- Select the Ordering icon in the Table heading to make it the active ordering item. The ordering icons in each row will change from light grey to dark grey and the pointer will change to a drag arrow on hover.
- Select one of the Ordering icons and drag it up or down to change the position of that row in the list. The items will display in the new order within the Position.
- Status. (Published/Unpublished/Trashed) The published status of the item.
- Name. The name of the Banner. Editing Option - 'click' on the name to open the Banner for editing.
- Pinned. (Yes or No) Whether or not the Banner is "pinned". If one or more Banners in a Category are designated "sticky," they will take priority over Banners that are not sticky.
- For example, if two Banners in a Category are pinned and a third Banner is not pinned, the third Banner will not display if the Banner display module setting is "Pinned, Randomise" or "Pinned, Ordering." Only the two pinned Banners will display. If the pinned banners have a fixed number of impressions, once those impressions are used up, the pinned banners will no longer display, and the non-pinned banners will begin displaying automatically.
- Client. The Client for this Banner. Clients are entered using the Banner Client Manager.
- Impressions. The Impression count is the number of times the Banner has been displayed on a page. The first number in this column is the actual number of Impressions so far, and the second number is how many Impressions were purchased by the client.
- Clicks. The first number is the total number of clicks that have been made on the Banner since the counter was reset. The second number is what percentage of the time user clicked on the banner when it was displayed.
- Language. Item language.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
Search bar. This is a common feature of most Lists. The layout is as shown below.
- Search by Text. Enter part of the search term and click the Search icon. The search may be of one or more fields. Hover to see a Tooltip indicating which fields will be searched. In some cases a different format is required. For Example, to Search by ID enter "id:xx", where "xx" is the item ID number (for example, "id:9").
- Filter Options. Click to display or hide the additional filters.
- Clear. Click to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
- Ordering. Shows the current table ordering field. Select from the drop down list to change the order or click a column heading. Ordering may be in ascending or descending order. The column heading toggles between ascending and descending order.
- Number to Display. Shows the number of items in a list. The default for a site is 20 but this may be changed in the global configuration. Select from the drop-down list to change the number displayed. If you select too many complex items they will be slow to deliver and display.
- To filter in title, enter part of the title and click Search.
- Click Clear to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
- To enable more Filters, click on Search Tools
Filter by Published Status. Lets you show only items with the selected published status.
- - Select Status -: Shows items that are Published and Unpublished. Does not show items that are Trashed or Archived.
- Trashed: Shows only items that are Trashed. Important Note: To permanently delete items:
- Change the status of the items to Trashed.
- Change the Status filter to Trashed. At this point the trashed items will show and an icon called "Empty trash" will show in the toolbar.
- Select the desired trashed items and click on "Empty Trash" in the toolbar. The items will be permanently deleted.
- Unpublished: Shows only items that are Unpublished.
- Published: Shows only items that are Published.
- Archived: Shows only items that are Archived.
- All: Shows all items regardless of published status.
Filter by Client. Lets you show only items that have a specific client assigned. The list box will show the clients defined for your site, similar to the example below.
- - Select Client - or All: Show items for any client.
- <client name>: Show items only for this client.
Filter by Category. Lets you show only items assigned to a specific category. The list box will show the categories defined for your site.
- - Select Category -: Show items assigned to any category.
- <your category>: Show items assigned only to this category.
Filter by Language. Lets you show only items that have a specific language assigned. The list box will show the languages defined for your site, similar to the examples below.
- - Select Language -
- All Show items for any language.
- <your language>: Show items only for this language.
Page Controls: When the number of items is more than one page, you will see a page control bar as shown below. The current page number being viewed is shaded.
- Start: Click to go to the first page.
- Prev: Click to go to the previous page.
- Page numbers: Click to go to the desired page.
- Next: Click to go to the next page.
- End: Click to go to the last page.
At the top of the page you will see the toolbar shown in the Screenshot above. The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new banner.
- Actions: Reveals a list of actions for selected Items. Check one or more Item checkboxes to activate the list.
- Publish. Makes the selected banner available to visitors to your website.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected banner unavailable to visitors to your website.
- Archive. Changes the status of the selected banner to indicate that they are archived. Archived banner can be moved back to the published or unpublished state by selecting "Archived" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the banner to Published or Unpublished as preferred.
- Check-In. Checks-in the selected banner. Works with one or multiple banner selected.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected banner to indicate that they are trashed. Trashed banner can still be recovered by selecting "Trashed" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the banner to Published or Unpublished as preferred. To permanently delete trashed banner, select "Trashed" in the Select Status filter, select the banner to be permanently deleted, then click the Empty Trash toolbar icon.
- Batch. Batch processes the selected banner. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
See Banner Manager Options for more information.
|Related Help Screens||Description|
|Banners: Edit||Used to add or edit banners which can be displayed on your Joomla! website. Remember to create at least one Banner Client and oneBanner Category before creating any Banners.|
|Banners: Options||Global options (configuration) for Banner Clients.|
|Banners: Categories||Used to view a list of existing Banner Categories, edit current and create new Banner Categories. Note that Banner Categories are separate from other Categories, such as for Articles, Contacts, News Feeds, and Web Links. There must be at least one Banner Client and Banner Category before a Banner can be created.|
|Banners: New or Edit Category||This is where you can add a new Banner Category or edit an existing one. Note that you need to create at least one Banner Category before you can create a Banner. Also, Banner Categories are separate from other types of Categories, such as those for Articles, Contacts, and News Feeds.|
|Banners: Clients||The Banner Client Manager is where you can edit existing Banner Clients or create new ones. Note that you must have at least one Banner Client and one Banner Category defined before you can add your first Banner.|
|Banners: New or Edit Client||This is where you add a new Banner Client or edit an existing one. Note that you need to create at least one Banner Client before you can create a Banner.|
|Banners: Tracks||Used to view a list of existing Banner Tracking information.|