Help4.x:Component: New or Edit Field Group
From Joomla! Documentation
Field Groups are used to collect related fields under a named Tab in a data entry form. The same Edit screen is used for adding a new Field Group and editing an existing Field Group.
How to Access
To add a new Field Group for Articles, Users or Contacts, starting from the Administrator menu:
- Select Content → Field Groups to create or edit an Articles Field Group. Or...
- Select Users → Field Groups to create or edit a Users Field Group. Or...
- Select Components → Contacts → Field Groups to create or edit a Contacts Field Group. Then....
- Select a field group Title link to edit an existing Field Group. Or...
- Select the New button in the Toolbar to create a new Field Group.
- Title. The name or title of the field. Make it as descriptive as possible.
The remaining entries are optional. Joomla! automatically creates default entries for these values.
- Description. A description of the field that will be displayed in the label tooltip.
- Status. The published status of the item.
- Access. The viewing Access Level for this item.
- Language. Item language.
- Note. This is normally for the site administrator's use (for example, to document information about this item) and does not show in the Frontend of the site.
- Created Date. Date the item(Article, Category, Weblink, etc.) was created.
- Created By. Name of the Joomla User who created this item. This will default to the currently logged-in user. If you want to change this to a different user, click the Select User button to select a different user.
- Modified Date. Date of last modification.
- Modified By. Username who performed the last modification.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays "0" until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
- 'Display When Read-Only' [needs explanaton]
Joomla lets you set permissions for fields at four levels, as follows.
- Globally, using Global Configuration.
- For all articles, using Article Manager→Options.
- For all articles in a category, using Category Manager.
- For an individual article, using Article Edit.
This is where you can enter permissions for this one field group. The screen shows as follows.
To change the permissions for this field group, do the following.
- Select the Group by clicking its title.
- Find the desired Action. Possible Actions are:
- Delete. Users can delete this field group.
- Edit. Users can edit this field group.
- Edit State. User can change the published state and related information for this field group.
- Edit Custom Field Value. Users can edit the Custom field group value.
- Select the desired permission for the action you wish to change. Possible settings are:
- Inherited. Inherited for users in this Group from the Global Configuration, Article Manager Options, or Category permissions.
- Allowed. Allowed for users in this Group. Note that, if this action is Denied at one of the higher levels, the Allowed permission here will not take effect. A Denied setting cannot be overridden.
- Denied. Denied for users in this Group.
- Click Save. When the screen refreshes, the Calculated Setting column will show the effective permission for this Group and Action.
At the top of the page you will see the toolbar shown in the Screenshot above. The functions are:
- Save. Saves the field group and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the field group and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the field group and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another field group.
- Cancel. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made. Or
- Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Joomla 3 Tutorial: Adding Custom Fields