Content Article Manager
From Joomla! Documentation
Used for creating new, editing, managing order, publishing, unpublishing and setting global options of articles shown on a Joomla website.
How to access
- Click the Article Manager icon in the Control Panel
- Select Content → Article Manager from the drop-down menu of the Joomla! Administrator Panel.
- Click the Article link while viewing the Category Manager or Featured Articles in the left, upper sidebar.
The Article Manager is used to find, mark featured, add and edit articles. See Toolbar below for a detailed list of all functions.
In the table containing Articles, these are the different columns shown below.
Chunk4x:Help screen column header Ordering\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Checkbox\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Status-Feature\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Title\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Access\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Author\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Language\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Date\en
- Hits. The number of times an item has been viewed.
- Votes. Number of votes for this item.
- Ratings. Number of ratings for this item.
Above the column headers on the right, there are 2 drop down input fields, Sort Table by: (preset to Ordering ascending)and a number (preset to 20) to display.
At the top you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new article.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected article. If more than one article is selected (where applicable), only the first article will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Name of the article.
- Publish. Makes the selected article available to visitors to your website.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected article unavailable to visitors to your website.
- Feature. Marks selected article as featured. Works with one or multiple article selected.
- Unfeature. Changes the status of featured articles to unfeatured. Works with one or multiple articles selected.
- Archive. Changes the status of the selected article to indicate that they are archived. Archived article can be moved back to the published or unpublished state by selecting "Archived" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the article to Published or Unpublished as preferred.
- Check-In. Checks-in the selected article. Works with one or multiple article selected.
- Batch. Batch processes the selected article. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected article to indicate that they are trashed. Trashed article can still be recovered by selecting "Trashed" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the article to Published or Unpublished as preferred. To permanently delete trashed article, select "Trashed" in the Select Status filter, select the article to be permanently deleted, then click the Empty Trash toolbar icon.
The List Filters, above on the left, and other filters as detailed below are in the left, bottom sidebar. These filters are a series of controls that let you limit what items show in the manager screen. More than one filter may be entered. In this case, only items that meet all of the filter conditions will show on the list.
Filter by Partial Title or ID. In the upper left is a filter or search field and two buttons, as shown below.
- To filter by partial title, enter part of the title and click Search.
- To filter by ID number, enter "id:xx", where "xx" is the ID number (for example, "id:9").
- Click x or Clear to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
Filter by Published Status. Lets you show only items with the selected published status.
- - Select Status -: Shows items that are Published and Unpublished. Does not show items that are Trashed or Archived.
- Trashed: Shows only items that are Trashed. Important Note: To permanently delete items:
- Change the status of the items to Trashed.
- Change the Status filter to Trashed. At this point the trashed items will show and an icon called "Empty trash" will show in the toolbar.
- Select the desired trashed items and click on "Empty Trash" in the toolbar. The items will be permanently deleted.
- Unpublished: Shows only items that are Unpublished.
- Published: Shows only items that are Published.
- Archived: Shows only items that are Archived.
- All: Shows all items regardless of published status.
Chunk4x:Help screen column header Select Category\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Select Max Levels\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Select Access\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Select Author\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Select Language\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Manager Pagination\en
- Clicking on the Options icon in the toolbar opens a modal window where you can set component level options for articles. To see the help screen for Options, click Article Manager Options
- If you want to know how to use Custom Fields, click Adding Custom Fields
- If Joomla is installed without sample data, one article category called "Uncategorised" is created automatically. If you want to use other categories for articles, you should create them before trying to add articles.
- To see trashed and archived articles, set the Status filter to All.
- To change the ordering of articles within a category, click on the Ordering column heading to sort by this column. Also, it is easier to see the ordering if you filter on the desired category.