From Joomla! Documentation
(Redirected from Help4.x:Content Media Manager)
The Media Manager is a tool for managing files in the <joomlaroot>/images/ folder and other user defined local folders. Tools available include:
- upload a new image (or document)
- delete an existing image
- rename an image
- edit an image
- get an image link
- create a new folder.
How to access
Starting from the Administrator menu:
- Select Content → Media.
- Or Select Home Dashboard → Site panel → Media.
Image Display Area
This area shows the structure of the local folders of your site, by default the images folder. If you wish to keep images and documents in separate local folders: first create a folder in the root of your site, say files, then go to the Filesystem - Local plugin and add files under Select directories. Back in the Media component you will see images and files as separate items in the Local panel.
The currently selected folder is also shown in the Breadcrumbs above the image display area.
Images Top Bar
- Checkbox. Select or Deselect All Images. After selection you can deselect individual images. You might want to do this to delete a set of images that are no longer used.
- Breadcrumbs. Select a breadcrumb item to go back in the folder hierarchy.
- Search. If you have a very large number of images in a folder you can type some part of an image name in the search box. The filter works progressively - for example, entering the letter k in the search box will instantly reduce the displayed images to those containing a letter k - the two koala images seen in the screenshot.
- Magnifier Icons. Decrease or increase the visible size of the thumbnail images.
- List View or Thumbnail View Icons. Toggles between Thumbnail and List views - the icon changes accordingly.
- Information Icon. Displays information on whatever is selected. If an image is selected it will show the file name, folder path, size and various other properties. Select to open or close the Information panel.
Images Panel Actions
Hover over an image and select the menu button labelled with three dots. Six icons appear offering the following actions:
- Enlarge Image Select the magnifier icon - the image is shown full size in a modal dialog.
- Edit Image Select the pencil icon to open the Media Edit window. It allows you to crop, resize or rotate the image.
- Download Image Select the download icon - your computer will respond by asking you what you want to do with the download. Or it may just save it or open it in an image display application.
- Get a Link Select the link icon to get a link to the image that you can use for sharing. A modal dialog allows you to copy the link to your clipboard for pasting into an email or document.
- Rename Image Select the rename icon to open a modal dialog that allows you to rename the image.
- Delete Image Select the waste bin icon to delete the image. You will be prompted to confirm. Once deleted it is gone forever! May be used also to delete a folder.
At the top of the page you will see the toolbar shown in the Screenshot above. The functions are:
- Upload: Opens hidden element under Thumbnail or Detail view buttons for uploading images.
- Create New Folder: Opens a modal dialog to prompt for a new folder name. The new folder is created in the currently selected folder.
- Delete: Deletes the selected images. Works with one or multiple images selected.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
- The Media Manager's maximum upload size can be changed to an amount other than 10M in the Media Manager Options.
- You can upload multiple files at the same time. Select more than one file, click on 'Start Upload' to upload all images selected.