From Joomla! Documentation
(Redirected from Help4.x:Extensions Language Manager Installed)
This page is tagged because it NEEDS TECHNICAL REVIEW. You can help the Joomla! Documentation Wiki by contributing to it.
More pages that need help similar to this one are here. NOTE-If you feel the need is satistified, please remove this notice.
Reason: Links in section Quick Tips (1st paragraph) and Related Information (last paragraph) need to be fixed
In the Installed Languages list you can set the default Languages independently for the Site and Administrator interfaces.
How to Access
- Select System → Manage Panel → Languages from the Administrator menu.
Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
- Radio Buttons. Select a radio button to make the selected language the Default Site and/or Administrator language.
- Title. The name of the language in English.
- Native Title. The name of the language in that language.
- Language Tag. Language Tag of the Installed Language.
- Default. The default language of the site, marked with a yellow graphical asterisk in this column. Note: to every user a language can be assigned (see "User Management"), user from groups "Administrator" and "Super Administrator" can select their preferred language themselves at login.
- Version. The version number of the installed language.
- Date. The creation date of the language.
- Author. The name of the language translator is displayed in this column.
- Author E-mail. The e-mail address of the translator.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
Filter by Site or Administrator
- Site. Shows the installed Languages for the front-end part. Here you can set the default language for the front-end of your Joomla web site.
- Administrator. Shows the installed Languages for the back-end part. Here you can set the default language for the back-end of your Joomla web site.
Search bar. This is a common feature of most Lists. The layout is as shown below.
- Search by Text. Enter part of the search term and click the Search icon. The search may be of one or more fields. Hover to see a Tooltip indicating which fields will be searched. In some cases a different format is required. For Example, to Search by ID enter "id:xx", where "xx" is the item ID number (for example, "id:9").
- Filter Options. Click to display or hide the additional filters.
- Clear. Click to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
- Ordering. Shows the current table ordering field. Select from the drop down list to change the order or click a column heading. Ordering may be in ascending or descending order. The column heading toggles between ascending and descending order.
- Number to Display. Shows the number of items in a list. The default for a site is 20 but this may be changed in the global configuration. Select from the drop-down list to change the number displayed. If you select too many complex items they will be slow to deliver and display.
Filter Options. This screen has no Filter Options
Page Controls: When the number of items is more than one page, you will see a page control bar as shown below. The current page number being viewed is shaded.
- Start: Click to go to the first page.
- Prev: Click to go to the previous page.
- Page numbers: Click to go to the desired page.
- Next: Click to go to the next page.
- End: Click to go to the last page.
At the top of the page you will see the toolbar shown in the Screenshot above. The functions are:
- Default: Makes the selected item the default item. The default star symbol () will show in the Default column, indicating that this is now the default item.
- Switch Languages. In the Administrator screen only, select a language radio button and then this button. The Administrator language will change and there will be a message such as Message La langue de l'administration a été changée en "French (France)".
- Install Languages. Links to the Install Languages Screen.
- Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Users can use any Language from the list of installed Languages, either by having it assigned in the Users list or by filling out a Menu Itema list - New/Edit - User Form Layout at the Front end. This will cause the Joomla! system prompts to be generated in this Language just for this User. For example, if a User chooses Spanish as their language, then the Search Module will show with prompts in Spanish.
- This User's choice is not affected by the Default Language set for the Front-end.
- Changing a User's Language or the Default Language does not affect the web site's Articles and other content.
- Important: Do not delete the default language files (for example, with FTP). This will create errors on both the Front-end and Back-end.
- Additional Languages can be added using the Install Languages Screen.
- If desired, you can show the Front-end site in one Language and show the Back-end administration pages in a different Language. Also, individual articles can be configured to use a different language in the Advanced Parameter pane when editing the Article.