Help4.x:Extensions Template Manager Templates Edit
From Joomla! Documentation
This is where you edit a template's source code. You can edit the template's master files and stylesheets from this screen.
How to Access
- Select System → Templates → Site Templates from the Administrator menu. Or...
- Select System → Templates → Administrator Templates from the Administrator menu. Then...
- Select a template name from the Templates column.
- Select a file to edit. The edit area shows syntax highlighted text for some types of file.
Create Overrides Tab
- Select an item to override. This is done immediately with no prompt for confirmation. Te override is placed in the appropriate location. For example, if you make an override for mod_custom you will see this message:
- Look in html/mod_custom to see the created files.
Template Description Tab
- Thumbnail and Description. Information on this template.
Update Files Tab
- Source Code. The contents of the selected template file is displayed and editible here.
At the top of the page you will see the toolbar shown in the Screenshot above. The functions are:
- Copy Template. ...?
- Manage Folders. Create a new folder within the template hierarchy. A popup window appears:
- New File. Click to upload a file from your computer to your Joomla template hierarchy. A popup window appears:
- Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Before editing the HTML and the CSS file of the template, it is a good idea to make a backup of the file you are editing. Also, you can edit these files outside of Joomla! using the HTML or CSS editor of your choice.
- To install templates: Extension Manager: Install