Guided Tours: Steps
From Joomla! Documentation
The guided tours give users the ability to complete walk-throughs (or tours) to better understand the interface they are learning to use. Steps are necessary in the building of a tour.
How to Access
System → Manage → Guided Tours
Enter a tour's steps screen by selecting the steps number from the Steps column.
To add a Step:
- click the New toolbar button
To edit a Step:
- select a Title from the list
- Checkbox. Check this box to select steps. To select all steps, check the box in the column heading. After boxes are checked the toolbar button 'Actions' get active.
- Ordering. You can change the order of a step within a list as follows:
- Select the Ordering icon in the List heading to make it active.
- Select one of the Three dots icons and drag it up or down to change the position of that row in the list.
- In the Filter Options you may limit the list to steps that are assigned, for example to a Language.
- The ordering of steps in the console determines the order in which the steps will be run during a tour.
- Title. The title of the step. Edit the step by clicking on the Title.
- Description. A truncated description of the step.
- Type. The type of the step, 'Next', 'Redirect' or 'Interactive'. 'Next' walks the user through the next step, 'Redirect' redirects to another page, 'Interactive' allows user interactions.
- ID. A unique identification number for this step, you cannot change this number.
Search bar. Near the top of the page you will see the search bar shown in the Screenshot above.
- Search by Text. Enter part of the search term and click the Search icon. Hover to see a Tooltip indicating which fields will be searched.To 'Search by ID' enter "id:x", where "x" is the ID number (for example, "id:19").
- Note. When step titles and descriptions are language keys, they are not searchable.
- Filter Options. Click to display the additional filters.
- Clear. Click to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
- Ordering. Shows the current list ordering field. 2 ways to change the order:
- Select from the dropdown list. Ordering may be in ascending or descending order.
- Click a column heading. The column heading toggles between ascending and descending order.
- Number to Display. Shows the number of steps in a list. Select from the dropdown list to change the number displayed.The default for a site is '20' but this may be changed in the Global Configuration.
Near the top of the page you will see the filter bar shown in the Screenshot above.
- Select Status. Select from Trashed / Unpublished / Published / Archived / All.
Page Controls. When the number of steps is more than one page, you will see a page control bar near the bottom of the page shown in the Screenshot above. The current page number being viewed has a dark colour background.
- Start. Click to go to the first page.
- Prev. Click to go to the previous page.
- Page numbers. Click to go to the desired page.
- Next. Click to go to the next page.
- End. Click to go to the last page.
At the top of the page you will see the toolbar shown in the Screenshot above.
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new step.
- Actions. Reveals a list of actions for selected steps. Check one or more steps checkboxes to activate the list.
- Publish. Makes the selected steps available for the tour.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected steps unavailable for the tour.
- Archive. Changes the status of the selected steps to indicate that they are archived.
- Check-in. Checks-in the selected steps.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected steps to indicate that they are trashed.
- Options. Opens Guided Tours: Options.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- To see trashed and archived steps, set the Status filter to 'All'.
- To empty the trash, set the Status filter to 'Trashed'. Select the steps to trash. In the toolbar, select 'Empty Trash'.