From Joomla! Documentation
This screen checks that your database table structure is up to date with your Joomla programs and lets you try to fix any problems that are found. In a normal Joomla version update, changes to the database table structure (also called "schema") are done automatically to keep the database version synchronized with the Joomla version. If an update is done manually, or if some part of an automatic update fails, the database schema might not be updated to match the version of the Joomla program files. In this case you will see a list of database problems on the screen. You can normally fix any problems by clicking on the Fix button.
How to Access
- Select System → Information Panel → Database from the Administrator menu.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Name. The name of the extension.
- Location. Specifies if this is a site or administrator extension.
- Type. The extension type - module, plug-in, template, language.
- Problems. Any problems will be mentioned here. A hover Tooltip provides more information.
- Database Version. The version number of the Database.
- Manifest Version. The version number of Joomla or Extension.
- Folder. If the extension is a plug-in, the subdirectory of your Joomla! installation's /plugins directory where the extension is located.
- ID. The ID number. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, for example in internal links. You cannot change this number.
Search bar. Near the top of the page you will see the search bar shown in the Screenshot above.
- Search by Text. Enter part of the search term and click the Search icon. Hover to see a Tooltip indicating which fields will be searched.To 'Search by ID' enter "id:x", where "x" is the ID number (for example, "id:19").
- Filter Options. Click to display the additional filters.
- Clear. Click to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
- Ordering. Shows the current list ordering field. 2 ways to change the order:
- Select from the dropdown list. Ordering may be in ascending or descending order.
- Click a column heading. The column heading toggles between ascending and descending order.
- Number to Display. Shows the number of items in a list. Select from the dropdown list to change the number displayed.The default for a site is '20' but this may be changed in the global configuration.
You can use one of the available filters or any combination of them to limit the number of extensions displayed to just the extensions which match your filter parameters.
- -Select Location-. Select Site, Administrator or API from the drop-down list of available locations.
- -Select Type-. Select the extension type from the drop-down list box of available types.
- -Select Folder-. Select a plug-in folder from the drop-down list box of available folders. There is a separate folder for each type of plug-in defined in your Joomla installation.
Page Controls. When the number of items is more than one page, you will see a page control bar near the bottom of the page shown in the Screenshot above. The current page number being viewed has a dark colour background.
- Start. Click to go to the first page.
- Prev. Click to go to the previous page.
- Page numbers. Click to go to the desired page.
- Next. Click to go to the next page.
- End. Click to go to the last page.
At the top of the page you will see the toolbar shown in the Screenshot above. The functions are:
- Update Structure. This program attempts to fix any database table structure problems found in the Database check. It runs any database schema change scripts (from the folder
administrator/components/com_admin/sql/updates) that were not run during the version update. It then re-checks whether or not the database is up to date. If it is successful, the message "Database table structure is up to date" will show.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- If you experience problems during an update, use this Database check to see if your database got updated correctly.
- It is strongly recommended that you use the Joomla! Update component to update your site. This way the database changes will be done automatically.
Links to Other Screens
- Install. Links to the Install Screen.
- Update. Links to the Update Screen.
- Manage. Links to the Manage Screen.
- Discover. Links to the Discover Screen.
- Database. Links to the Database Screen.
- Warnings. Links to the Warnings Screen.
- Install Languages. Links to the Languages Screen.
- Update Sites. Links to the Update Sites.