Help4.x:Menu Item: Article Archived
From Joomla! Documentation
The Archived Articles Menu Item Type shows a customised list of articles ordered by date or title.
Archived articles are no longer published but are still stored on the site. Articles are Archived using the Articles list screen. Articles assigned to the 'Uncategorised' Category will not show on the Archived Article Menu Item.
How To Access
Menus → [name of the menu]
To add a Menu Item:
- click the New toolbar button.
- click the Menu Item Type Select button.
- select the Articles item.
- select the Archived Articles item.
To edit a Menu Item:
- select a Title from the list
- Title. The title that will display for this menu item.
- Alias. The internal name of the menu item. Normally, you can leave this blank and Joomla will fill in a default value Title in lower case and with dashes instead of spaces. Learn more.
- Menu Item Type. The Menu Item Type selected when this menu item was created. This can be one of the core menu item types or a menu item type provided by an installed extension.
- Category. Select one or more categories from the dropdown list.
- Link. The system-generated link for this menu item. This field cannot be changed and is for information only.
- Target Window. Select from the dropdown list.
- Template Style. Select from the dropdown list.
- Menu. Shows which menu the link will appear in.
Options include "Use Global". If this is selected, the setting from the Articles: Options will be used.
- Article Order.
- Oldest First: Articles are displayed starting with the oldest and ending with the most recent.
- Most Recent First: Articles are displayed starting with the most recent and ending with the oldest.
- Title Alphabetical: Articles are displayed by Title in alphabetical order (A to Z).
- Title Reverse Alphabetical: Articles are displayed by Title in reverse alphabetical order (Z to A).
- Author Alphabetical: Articles are displayed by Author in alphabetical order (A to Z).
- Author Reverse Alphabetical: Articles are displayed by Author in reverse alphabetical order (Z to A).
- Most Hits: Articles are displayed by the number of hits, starting with the one with the most hits and ending with the one with the least hits.
- Least Hits: Articles are displayed by the number of hits, starting with the one with the least hits and ending with the one with the most hits.
- Ordering: Articles are ordered according to the Order column entered in Articles.
- Date for Ordering. The date used when articles are sorted by date.
- Created: Use the article created date.
- Modified: Use the article modified date.
- Published: Use the article start publishing date.
- # Articles to List. Number of articles shown in the list.
- Filter Field. Show a text field in the Frontend where a user can filter the articles.
- Intro text Limit. The maximum number of characters of the Intro Text to show. If the Intro Text is longer than this value, it will be truncated to this length.
The Options determine how the article will show on the Frontend Site layout.
- Intro Text.
- Show: The Intro Text of the article will show when you drill down to the article.
- Hide: Only the part of the article after the Read More break will show.
- Position of Article Info.
- Use Article Settings: Use the value from Articles: Edit.This setting allows you to have different options for different articles in the List layout.
- Above: Puts the article information block above the text.
- Below: Puts the article information block below the text.
- Split: Splits the article information block into 2 separate blocks. One block is above and the other is below the text.
- Article Info Title. Displays 'Details' on top of the article information block.
- Category. Show the Article's Category Title.
- Link Category. Show the title as a link to that Category.Note: You can set this to be either a blog or list layout with the Choose a Layout option in the Category Tab.
- Parent Category. Show the Article's Parent Category Title.
- Link Parent Category. Show the title as a link to that Category.Note: You can set this to be either a blog or list layout with the Choose a Layout option in the Category Tab.
- Linked Titles. Show the title as a link to the article.
- Author. Show the author of the Article.
- Link to Author's Contact Page. Show it as a link to a Contact layout for that author.Note: The author must be set up as a Contact. Also, a link will not show if there is an Author Alias value for the article.
- Create Date. Show the Article's create date.
- Modify Date. Show the Article's modify date.
- Publish Date. Show the Article's start publishing date.
- Navigation. Show a navigation link 'Prev' or 'Next' when you drill down to the article.
- Hits. Show the number of times the article has been displayed by a user.
See Menus: New Item for help on fields common to all Menu Item types, including:
At the top of the page you will see the toolbar shown in the Screenshot above.
- Save. Saves the menu item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the menu item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the menu item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another menu item.
- Cancel. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- The Archived Articles layout allows you to access old or outdated articles that you don't want to remove entirely from the site.
- If you want to be able to see old articles in a category blog or list, create a category for older articles and move them to this category (instead of changing the Published state to Archived).
- This Portal brings together information related specifically to Joomla 4.
|Related Help Screens||Description|
|Articles: Options||Used to set global defaults for menu items that display articles. These default values will be used when 'Use Global' is selected for an option in an Articles menu item.|
|Articles||The Article list is used to find, mark featured, add and edit articles.|
|Articles: Edit||This is where you can add and edit Articles. You can also select the Category for an Article and indicate whether or not it is Published and if it is selected to appear on the Front Page.|
|Articles: Featured||Used to control which 'Featured Articles' are displayed on the Front Page and in what order they are displayed.|
|Articles: Categories||The Articles Categories list is used to find, add, and edit articles categories.|
|Menus: Archived Articles||Shows a customised list of articles ordered by date or title. Archived articles are no longer published but are still stored on the site.|
|Menus: Category Blog||Used to show articles belonging to a specific Category in a blog layout. Controls the Leading Articles, Intro Articles and additional links to more Articles.|
|Menus: Category List||Used to show articles belonging to a specific Category in a list layout.|
|Menus: Create Article||Allows users to submit an article. Normally this is available only to users who have logged in to the Frontend of the site. Users must have permission to create articles.|
|Menus: Featured Articles||Used to show all Articles that have been tagged as Featured. Articles are shown in a Blog Layout.|
|Menus: List All Categories in an Article Category Tree||Used to show a hierarchical list of Categories. Depending on the selected options for this layout, you can click on a category Title to show the articles in that category.|
|Menus: Single Article||Used to show one article.|