Help4.x:Menu Item: Create Article
From Joomla! Documentation
- 1 Description
- 2 How To Access
- 3 Screenshot
- 4 Form Fields
- 5 Toolbar
- 6 Front End Screenshots
- 7 Quick Tips
- 8 Related Information
The Create Article menu item allows users to submit an article via the Site interface. Normally this is available only to users who have logged in to the front end of the site. Users must have permission to create articles. When the Create Article page is shown in the front end, the screen shows as examples in the Front End Screenshots section below.
How To Access
To create a new Create Article menu item:
- Select Menus → [name of the menu] from the Administrator menu (for example, Menus → Main Menu). Then...
To edit an existing Create Article menu item:
- Select its Title in Menu Items list.
- Menu Title: The title that will display for this menu item.
- Alias. The internal name of the item, also used in the URL when Site Global Configuration SEO Setting is activated. Normally, you can leave this blank and Joomla! will fill in a default value. The default value is the Title or Name in lower case and with dashes instead of spaces. You may enter the Alias manually. The Alias should consist of lowercase letters and hyphens (-). No blank spaces or underscores are allowed. Non-Latin characters can be allowed in the alias if you set the Unicode Aliases option to Yes in the Site Global Configuration SEO settings. If this option is set to No and the title includes non-Latin characters, the Alias will default to the current date and time (for example "2012-12-31-17-54-38").
- Menu Item Type: The Menu Item Type selected when this menu item was created. This can be one of the core menu item types or a menu item type provided by an installed extension.
- Menu: Shows which menu the link will appear in.
- Default Category. If Yes, all articles created will be assigned to the specified category and the user will not be able to select a category. If No, the user may select the category from the list box. Note that only categories for which the user has Create permission will show in the list box.
- Choose a Category. Select one Category from the list box.
- Submission/Cancel Redirect: Select the page the user will be redirected to after a successful article submission. The default is to redirect to the home page.
See Menus: Edit/New Item for help on fields common to all Menu Item types, including:
- Link Type Options
- Page Display Options
- Metadata Options
Module Assignments Tab
See Menus: Edit/New Item for help on fields in this Menu Item.
At the top of the page you will see the toolbar shown in the Screenshot above. The functions are:
- Save. Saves the menu item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the menu item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the menu item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another menu item.
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current menu item. Does not affect the current menu item. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new menu item.
- Cancel. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made. Or
- Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
Front End Screenshots
Example Front End Site images are generic images using Joomla! core installation supplied free Front End Templates. The actual view can depend on the installed custom template used and the template's style for those views on a Joomla! website.
Editor Tab View
Fields Tab View
Publishing Tab View
Language Tab View
Metadata Tab View
- An unauthorised user will normally get an error if they click on a Create Article menu item. For this reason, it is normal practice to give the menu item a viewing access level that can only be seen by users authorised to add articles.
- To create a new user: Users: Add or Edit User
- To change global ACL permissions for a Group: Global Configuation → Permissions
- To change article ACL permissions for a Group: Articles → Options → Permissions
- To assign Groups to Viewing Access Levels: Users → Access Levels → New/Edit
|Related Help Screens||Description|
|Articles: Options||Used to set global defaults for menu items that display articles. These default values will be used when "Use Global" is selected for an option in an Articles menu item. For example, to show the 'Create Date' for an article in your Articles menu items, then set that option to "Show" here and it will be the default value. You do not need to set any of these options. Your Joomla site will work with the default settings.|
|Articles||The Article list is used to find, mark featured, add and edit articles.|
|Articles: Edit||This is the Administrator screen where you can add and edit Articles. The same screen is used for adding a new Article and editing an existing Article. You can also select the Section and Category for an Article and indicate whether or not it is Published and if it is selected to appear on the Front Page.
The Article's content is edited using the editor selected in the User Profile. The default editor is called TinyMCE.
|Articles: Featured||Used to control which 'Featured Articles' are displayed on the Front Page and in what order they are displayed. The Front Page is often the Home page of a web site, but it can be any page in the site.|
|Menus: List All Categories||Used to show a hierarchical list of Categories. Depending on the selected options for this layout, you can click on a category Title to show the articles in that category.|
|Menus: Category Blog||Used to show articles belonging to a specific Category in a blog layout. Controls the Introduction or Leading Article, additional Articles with introductory text, and additional links to more Articles in the same category. Some examples of settings for the Blog Layout format include: number of articles, article columns, across or down layouts, and number of additional links.|
|Menus: Category List||Used to show articles belonging to a specific Category in a list layout.|
|Menus: Create Article||Allows users to submit an article. Normally this is available only to users who have logged in to the front end of the site. Users must have permission to create articles.|
|Menus: Featured Articles||Used to show all Articles that have been tagged as Featured. Articles are shown in a Blog Layout.|
|Menus: Single Article||Used to show one article.|