Menu Item: Single Article
From Joomla! Documentation
The Single Article menu item type is used to show one article in the front end of the site.
How To Access
To create a new Single Article menu item:
- Select Menus → [name of the menu] from the Administrator menu (for example, Menus → Main Menu). Then...
To edit an existing Single Article menu item:
- Select its Title in Menu Items list.
- Menu Title: The title that will display for this menu item.
- Alias. The internal name of the item, also used in the URL when Site Global Configuration SEO Setting is activated. Normally, you can leave this blank and Joomla! will fill in a default value. The default value is the Title or Name in lower case and with dashes instead of spaces. You may enter the Alias manually. The Alias should consist of lowercase letters and hyphens (-). No blank spaces or underscores are allowed. Non-Latin characters can be allowed in the alias if you set the Unicode Aliases option to Yes in the Site Global Configuration SEO settings. If this option is set to No and the title includes non-Latin characters, the Alias will default to the current date and time (for example "2012-12-31-17-54-38").
- Menu Item Type: The Menu Item Type selected when this menu item was created. This can be one of the core menu item types or a menu item type provided by an installed extension.
- Select Article. This field holds the article to be shown in this layout. Press the Select/Change button to open the article selection modal window, as shown below.
- This screen is similar to the Articles page. You can use the Filter fields to find the desired article and then click on the article's Title to select it. At that point, the modal window will close and the title will show in the Select Article field.
- Link: Link for this menu.
- Target Window. Select from the drop-down list.
- Template Style. Select from the drop-down list.
- Menu: Shows which menu the link will appear in.
The Single Article Layout has the following Article Options, as shown below. These options determine how the article will show on the Front End Site layout.
Note that these options include "Use Global". If this is selected, the setting from the Articles: Options will be used.
- Show Title. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show the Article's Title.
- Linked Titles. (Use Global/No/Yes). If the Article's Title is shown, whether to show it as a link to the article.
- Show Intro Text. (Use Global/Hide/Show). If set to Show, the Intro Text of the article will show when you drill down to the article. If set to Hide, only the part of the article after the "Read More" break will show.
- Position of Article Info. (Use Global/Use Article Settings/Above/Below/Split). Puts the article information block above or below the text or splits it into two separate blocks. One block is above and the other is below.
- Article Info Title. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Displays the 'Article Info' title on top of the article information block.
- Show Category. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show the Article's Category.
- Link Category. (Use Global/No/Yes). If the Article's Category is shown, whether to show it as a link to a Category layout (list or blog) for that Category.
- Show Parent. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show the Article's Parent Category.
- Link Parent. (Use Global/No/Yes). If the Article's Parent Category is shown, whether to show it as a link to a Category layout (list or blog) for that Category.
- Show Associations. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Multilingual only. If set to Show, the associated articles flags or URL Language Code will be displayed.
- Show Author. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to show the author of the Article.
- Link Author. (Use Global/No/Yes). If the Article's author is shown, whether to show it as a link to a Contact layout for that author. Note that the author must be set up as a Contact in Contact Manager: Edit.
- Show Create Date. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show the Article's create date.
- Show Modify Date. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show the Article's modify date.
- Show Publish Date. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show the Article's start publishing date.
- Show Navigation. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show a navigation link (for example, Next or Previous article) when you drill down to the article.
- Show Voting. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show the a voting icon for the article.
- Show Icons. (Use Global/Hide/Show). If set to Show, Print and Email will use icons instead of text.
- Show Print. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Show or Hide the Print Article button.
- Show Email. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Show or Hide the Email Article button.
- Show Hits. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Show or Hide the number of times the article has been hit (displayed by a user).
- Tags. Whether to hide or show any tags for this item.
- Use Global: Use the default value from the contacts options screen.
- Show: Show to allow users to select a contact in a drop down list.
- Hide: Do not display the Contact list.
- Show Unauthorised Links. (Use Global/No/Yes). If Yes, the Intro Text for restricted articles will show. Clicking on the "Read More" link will require users to log in to view the full article content.
- Positioning of the Links. (Use Global/Above/Below/Hide). If Above, links are shown above the content. Otherwise, they are shown below the content.
See Menus: Edit/New Item for help on fields common to all Menu Item types, including:
- Link Type Options
- Page Display Options
- Metadata Options
- Associations Options (only visible on multilingual sites)
Module Assignments Tab
See Menus: Edit/New Item for help on fields in this Menu Item.
At the top of the page you will see the toolbar shown in the Screenshot above. The functions are:
- Save. Saves the menu item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the menu item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the menu item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another menu item.
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current menu item. Does not affect the current menu item. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new menu item.
- Cancel. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made. Or
- Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- If you have a Single Article Layout defined for an article, that layout will show any time a user drills down to that article. For example, if an article is shown on another menu item type (for example, in a Category Blog or List Layout or a Featured Articles Layout), the user will be taken to the Single Article Layout for that article (if defined).
- Archived articles are no longer published but are still stored on the site. Articles are Archived using the Articles screen. Note that Articles assigned to the "Uncategorized" Section will not show on the Archived Article List layout.
- Articles are created using Articles: New.
|Related Help Screens||Description|
|Articles: Options||Used to set global defaults for menu items that display articles. These default values will be used when "Use Global" is selected for an option in an Articles menu item. For example, to show the 'Create Date' for an article in your Articles menu items, then set that option to "Show" here and it will be the default value. You do not need to set any of these options. Your Joomla site will work with the default settings.|
|Articles||The Article list is used to find, mark featured, add and edit articles.|
|Articles: Edit||This is the Administrator screen where you can add and edit Articles. The same screen is used for adding a new Article and editing an existing Article. You can also select the Section and Category for an Article and indicate whether or not it is Published and if it is selected to appear on the Front Page.
The Article's content is edited using the editor selected in the User Profile. The default editor is called TinyMCE.
|Articles: Featured||Used to control which 'Featured Articles' are displayed on the Front Page and in what order they are displayed. The Front Page is often the Home page of a web site, but it can be any page in the site.|
|Menus: List All Categories||Used to show a hierarchical list of Categories. Depending on the selected options for this layout, you can click on a category Title to show the articles in that category.|
|Menus: Category Blog||Used to show articles belonging to a specific Category in a blog layout. Controls the Introduction or Leading Article, additional Articles with introductory text, and additional links to more Articles in the same category. Some examples of settings for the Blog Layout format include: number of articles, article columns, across or down layouts, and number of additional links.|
|Menus: Category List||Used to show articles belonging to a specific Category in a list layout.|
|Menus: Create Article||Allows users to submit an article. Normally this is available only to users who have logged in to the front end of the site. Users must have permission to create articles.|
|Menus: Featured Articles||Used to show all Articles that have been tagged as Featured. Articles are shown in a Blog Layout.|
|Menus: Single Article||Used to show one article.|