From Joomla! Documentation
You can add or modify menus in this screen.
How to Access
- Select Menus → Manage from the Administrator menu. Then...
- Select the New button in the Toolbar to create a new menu. Or...
- Select a menu Title in the Title column to edit an existing menu.
- Title. The title of the menu to display in the Administrator Menubar and lists.
Menu Details Tab
- Unique Name. The system name of the menu.
- Description. A description about the purpose of the menu.
You can set permissions for a menu so that only specific groups can alter the menu. The actions available are:
- Access Administration Interface
- Edit State
The available settings for each are:
- Inherited means that the permissions from global configuration, parent group and category will be used.
- Allowed means that the group being edited will be able to take this action for this item (but if this is in conflict with the global configuration, parent group or category it will have no impact; a conflict will be indicated by Not Allowed (Inherited) under Calculated Settings).
- Denied means that no matter what the global configuration, parent group or category settings are, the group being edited can't take this action on this item.
At the top of the page you will see the toolbar shown in the Screenshot above. The functions are:
- Save. Saves the item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another item.
- Cancel. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- If you forgot to create a module for this menu, go to the Module Manager, found by going to Home Dashboard → Site → Module. Click on New, and then on Menu. Fill in a title and select the Menu in the Module Parameters.
- It is a good idea to give a descriptive title for new menus. This is how the menu will be identified in the Backend Menus menu. It is also a good idea to fill in the Description field with information about the menu. This is how the menu's module will be referred to in the Module Manager.
- When you create a new menu, use only alphanumeric characters without spaces in the Unique Name field. It is a good idea to use only a-z, 0-9 and underscore (_) characters.