Menus Menu Item Article Archived
From Joomla! Documentation
How To Access
To create a new Archived Articles Menu Item:
- Select Menus → [name of the menu] from the drop-down menu on the back-end of your Joomla! installation (for example, Menus → Main Menu).
- Click the New Toolbar button to create a new menu item.
- Click the Menu Item Type Select button File:Help-4x-Menu-Item-Type-Select-Button-en.png and then click the Archived Articles link under Articles link.
To edit an existing Archived Articles Menu Item, click its Title in Menu Manager: Menu Items.
Used to show a list of Archived Articles. The Archived Article list can be displayed by date, filtered, and intro text added as shown below.
Archived articles are no longer published but are still stored on the site. Articles are Archived using the Article Manager screen. Note that Articles assigned to the "Uncategorized" Category will not show on the Archived Article List layout.
The Archived Articles menu item has the following required settings: Chunk4x:Help screen column header Menu Title\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Menu Item Type\en
- Menu: Shows which menu the link will appear in.
Advanced Details Tab
The Archived Articles Layout has the following Archive Options, as shown below.
- Article Order. Order of articles in this Layout. The following options are available.
- Oldest first: Articles are displayed starting with the oldest and ending with the most recent.
- Most recent first: Articles are displayed starting with the most recent and ending with the oldest
- Title Alphabetical: Articles are displayed by Title in alphabetical order (A to Z)
- Title Reverse Alphabetical: Articles are displayed by Title in reverse alphabetical order (Z to A)
- Author Alphabetical: Articles are displayed by Author in alphabetical order (A to Z)
- Author Reverse Alphabetical: Articles are displayed by Author in reverse alphabetical order (Z to A)
- Most Hits: Articles are displayed by the number of hits, starting with the one with the most hits and ending with the one with the least hits
- Least Hits: Articles are displayed by the number of hits, starting with the one with the least hits and ending with the one with the most hits
- Ordering: Articles are ordered according to the Order column entered in the Article Manager.
- Filter Field. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to show a Filter Field for the list of articles. If Hide, no Filter Field is shown. Otherwise, the Filter Field is shown.
- Intro Text Limit. The maximum number of characters of the Intro Text to show. If the Intro Text is longer than this value, it will be truncated to this length.
The Archive Article Options has the following options, as shown below. These options determine how the article will show on the Front End Site layout.
Note that these options include "Use Global". If this is selected, the setting from the Article Manager Options will be used. Chunk4x:Help screen column header Show Intro Text\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Position of Article Info\en
- Article Info Title. Displays the 'Article Info' title on top of the article information block.
Chunk4x:Help screen column header Show Category\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Link Category\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Show Parent\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Link Parent\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Linked Titles\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Show Author\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Link Author\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Show Create Date\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Show Modify Date\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Show Publish Date\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Show Navigation\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Show Hits\en
Module Assignments Tab
At the top left you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save: Saves the menu item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the menu item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the menu item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another menu item.
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current menu item. Does not affect the current menu item. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new menu item.
- The Archived Articles layout allows you to access old or outdated articles that you don't want to remove entirely from the site.
- If you want to be able to see old articles in a category blog or list, create a category for older articles and move them to this category (instead of changing the Published state to Archived).
- Articles are archived using Article Manager.
|Related Help Screens||Description|
|Components Article Manager Options||Used to set global defaults for menu items that display articles. These default values will be used when "Use Global" is selected for an option in an Articles menu item. For example, to show the 'Create Date' for an article in your Articles menu items, then set that option to "Show" here and it will be the default value. You do not need to set any of these options. Your Joomla site will work with the default settings.|
|Content Article Manager||The Article Manager is used to find, mark featured, add and edit articles. See Toolbar below for a detailed list of all functions.|
|Content Article Manager Edit||This is the back-end screen where you can add and edit Articles. The same screen is used for adding a new Article and editing an existing Article. You can also select the Section and Category for an Article and indicate whether or not it is Published and if it is selected to appear on the Front Page.
The Article's content is edited using the default editor selected in the User Manager - New/Edit. The Joomla! default editor is called TinyMCE. A number of Parameters can be set for the Article. Metadata can also be entered.
|Content Featured Articles||Used to control which 'Featured Articles' are displayed on the Front Page and in what order they are displayed. The Front Page is often the Home page of a web site, but it can be any page in the site. The Front Page is created using a Menu Item with the Front Page layout.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Categories||Used to show a list of Categories. Categories are shown in a hierarchical list, as shown below. Depending on the selected options for this layout, you can click on a category Title to show the articles in that category.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Category Blog||Used to show articles belonging to a specific Category in a blog layout. Controls the Introduction or Leading Article, additional Articles with intro text, and additional links to more Articles in the same category. Some examples of settings for the Blog Layout format include: number of articles, article columns, across or down layouts, and number of additional links. See the Advanced Details Tab for all this menu item.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Category List||Used to show articles belonging to a specific Category in a list layout.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Create||Allows users to submit an article. Normally this is available only to users who have logged in to the front end of the site. Users must have permission to create articles. When the Create Article page is shown in the front end, the screen shows as examples in the following Front End Screenshots section.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Featured||Used to show all Articles that have been tagged as Featured. Articles are shown in a Blog Layout.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Single Article||Used to show one article in the front end of the site.|