Menus Menu Item Article Single Article
From Joomla! Documentation
How To Access
To create a new Single Articles Menu Item:
- Select Menus → [name of the menu] from the drop-down menu on the back-end of your Joomla! installation (for example, Menus → Main Menu).
- Click the New Toolbar button to create a new menu item.
- Click the Menu Item Type Select button File:Help-4x-Menu-Item-Type-Select-Button-en.png and then click the Single Articles link under Articles link.
To edit an existing Single Articles Menu Item, click its Title in Menu Manager: Menu Items.
Used to show one article in the front end of the site.
The Single Article Layout has the following required settings: Chunk4x:Help screen column header Menu Title\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Menu Item Type\en
- Menu: Shows which menu the link will appear in.
Advanced Details Tab
The Single Article Layout has the following Article Options, as shown below. These options determine how the article will show on the Front End Site layout.
Note that these options include "Use Global". If this is selected, the setting from the Article Manager Options will be used. Chunk4x:Help screen column header Show Title\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Linked Titles\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Show Intro Text\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Position of Article Info\en
- Article Info Title. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Displays the 'Article Info' title on top of the article information block.
- Show Associations. Multilingual only. If set to Show, the associated articles flags or URL Language Code will be displayed.
Chunk4x:Help screen column header Show Author\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Link Author\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Show Create Date\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Show Modify Date\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Show Publish Date\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Show Navigation\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Show Voting\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Show Icons\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Show Print Icon\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Show Email Icon\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Show Hits\en
- Tags. Whether to hide or show any tags for this item.
- Use Global: Use the default value from the contacts options screen.
- Show: Show to allow users to select a contact in a drop down list.
- Hide: Do not display the Contact list.
Module Assignments Tab
At the top left you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save: Saves the menu item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the menu item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the menu item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another menu item.
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current menu item. Does not affect the current menu item. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new menu item.
- If you have a Single Article Layout defined for an article, that layout will show any time a user drills down to that article. For example, if an article is shown on another menu item type (for example, in a Category Blog or List Layout or a Featured Articles Layout), the user will be taken to the Single Article Layout for that article (if defined).
- Archived articles are no longer published but are still stored on the site. Articles are Archived using the Article Manager screen. Note that Articles assigned to the "Uncategorized" Section will not show on the Archived Article List layout.
- Articles are created using Article Manager: Add or Edit.
|Related Help Screens||Description|
|Components Article Manager Options||Used to set global defaults for menu items that display articles. These default values will be used when "Use Global" is selected for an option in an Articles menu item. For example, to show the 'Create Date' for an article in your Articles menu items, then set that option to "Show" here and it will be the default value. You do not need to set any of these options. Your Joomla site will work with the default settings.|
|Content Article Manager||The Article Manager is used to find, mark featured, add and edit articles. See Toolbar below for a detailed list of all functions.|
|Content Article Manager Edit||This is the back-end screen where you can add and edit Articles. The same screen is used for adding a new Article and editing an existing Article. You can also select the Section and Category for an Article and indicate whether or not it is Published and if it is selected to appear on the Front Page.
The Article's content is edited using the default editor selected in the User Manager - New/Edit. The Joomla! default editor is called TinyMCE. A number of Parameters can be set for the Article. Metadata can also be entered.
|Content Featured Articles||Used to control which 'Featured Articles' are displayed on the Front Page and in what order they are displayed. The Front Page is often the Home page of a web site, but it can be any page in the site. The Front Page is created using a Menu Item with the Front Page layout.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Archived||Used to show a list of Archived Articles. The Archived Article list can be displayed by date, filtered, and intro text added as shown below.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Categories||Used to show a list of Categories. Categories are shown in a hierarchical list, as shown below. Depending on the selected options for this layout, you can click on a category Title to show the articles in that category.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Category Blog||Used to show articles belonging to a specific Category in a blog layout. Controls the Introduction or Leading Article, additional Articles with intro text, and additional links to more Articles in the same category. Some examples of settings for the Blog Layout format include: number of articles, article columns, across or down layouts, and number of additional links. See the Advanced Details Tab for all this menu item.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Category List||Used to show articles belonging to a specific Category in a list layout.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Create||Allows users to submit an article. Normally this is available only to users who have logged in to the front end of the site. Users must have permission to create articles. When the Create Article page is shown in the front end, the screen shows as examples in the following Front End Screenshots section.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Featured||Used to show all Articles that have been tagged as Featured. Articles are shown in a Blog Layout.|