Menus Menu Item Manager
From Joomla! Documentation
The Menu Item Manager lists the menu items contained in a menu created using the Menu Manager.
How to access
Select Menus → [All Menu Items] from the drop-down menu on the back-end of your Joomla! installation. Or you can navigate to the Control Panel and click on the Menu(s) icon.
- Checkbox: Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Status. (Published/Unpublished/Trashed) The published status of the item.
Chunk4x:Help screen column header Title\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Menu\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Home\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Access\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Association\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Language\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Id\en
At the top left you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new menu item.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected menu item. If more than one menu item is selected (where applicable), only the first menu item will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Name of the menu item.
- Publish. Makes the selected menu items available to visitors to your website.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected menu items unavailable to visitors to your website.
- Check-In. Checks-in the selected menu items. Works with one or multiple menu items selected.
- Batch. Batch processes the selected menu items. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected menu items to indicate that they are trashed. Trashed menu items can still be recovered by selecting "Trashed" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the menu items to Published or Unpublished as preferred. To permanently delete trashed menu items, select "Trashed" in the Select Status filter, select the menu items to be permanently deleted, then click the Empty Trash toolbar icon.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
Filter by (Partial) Menu Name
- Site/Administrator. The client where the menu is used.
- Select Menu. A field to select the menu you want to search.
- Search. Enter part of the menu's name and press the Search to find matching names. Press x or Clear to clear the search field and restore the list of menus.
- Ordering: (default). The column in which to sort displayed items in the table. The values are the same as the column heading names.
Filter by Status, Access, Language, Max Levels, Parent Menu Item
Search Tools are five drop-down list boxes as shown below.
Filter by Published Status. Lets you show only items with the selected published status.
- - Select Status -: Shows items that are Published and Unpublished. Does not show items that are Trashed or Archived.
- Trashed: Shows only items that are Trashed. Important Note: To permanently delete items:
- Change the status of the items to Trashed.
- Change the Status filter to Trashed. At this point the trashed items will show and an icon called "Empty trash" will show in the toolbar.
- Select the desired trashed items and click on "Empty Trash" in the toolbar. The items will be permanently deleted.
- Unpublished: Shows only items that are Unpublished.
- Published: Shows only items that are Published.
- Archived: Shows only items that are Archived.
- All: Shows all items regardless of published status.
Filter by Viewing Access Level. Lets you show only items that have a specified viewing access level. The list box will show the access levels defined for your site, similar to the example below.
- - Select Access -: Show items with any viewing access level.
- <access level group>: Show items only with this viewing access level.
Filter by Language. Lets you show only items that have a specific language assigned. The list box will show the languages defined for your site, similar to the example below.
- - Select Language - or All: Show items for any language.
- <your language>: Show items only for this language.
Filter by Max Levels (Category Level). Lets you show only items whose category is at or above the specified level in the category hierarchy.
- - Select Max Levels -: Show all items regardless of level of their assigned category.
- 1: Only show items whose category is at the top level in the category hierarchy (in other words, with categories whose parent category is "- No Parent -".)
- 2-10: Only show items whose category is in the top 2-10 levels in the category hierarchy.
Filter by Parent Menu Item. Lets you show only items of a menu item.
- - Select Parent Menu Item -: Show all menu items.
- <your menu item>: Show items only for this menu item.
The Batch Process allows a change in settings for a group of selected items. To use: click on the Batch button found on top of the table of items being viewed to activate the drop down field area.
You can change one value or all three values at one time.
- Note - if you copy items to a new category, changes you have selected from access level and language will be applied to the copies, not the original.
How to Batch Process a group of items:
- Select one or more items on the list by selecting the desired checkbox(es).
- Set one or more of the following values:
- To change the Access Levels, select the desired new access level from the Set Access Level list box.
- To change the Language, select the desired language from the Set Language list box.
- To add a Tag, select the desired tag from the Add Tag list box.
- To change the Category, select a category. To leave the category unchanged, use the default value of "Select".
- To copy the items to a different category, select the desired category from the category list box and check the Copy option. In this case, the original items are unchanged and the copies are assigned to the new category and, if selected, the new access level and language.
- To move the items to a different category, select the desired category from the category list box and check the Move option. In this case, the original items will be moved to a new category and, if selected, be assigned the new access level and language.
- When all of the settings are entered, click on Process to perform the changes. A message "Batch process completed successfully." will show.
Note that nothing will happen if you (a) don't have any items selected or (b) have not selected an access level, language, or category.
If you wish to clear your entered selections, click on the Clear button. This will return all of the Batch controls to their default values. Note that this does not uncheck the check boxes for the items.
- Select an item and click on the Home button to set your Home page.
- Set different filter options to only show some of the menu items.