Menus Menu Item Newsfeed Category
From Joomla! Documentation
How To Access
To create a new List News Feed Category Menu Item:
- Select Menus → [name of the menu] from the drop-down menu on the back-end of your Joomla! installation (for example, Menus → Main Menu).
- Click the New Toolbar button to create a new menu item.
- Click the Menu Item Type Select button File:Help-4x-Menu-Item-Type-Select-Button-en.png and then click the List News Feeds in a Category Menu Item link under Newsfeeds link.
To edit an existing List News Feeds Category Menu Item, click its Title in Menu Manager: Menu Items.
Used to show a list of all RSS News Feeds in a Category. Depending on the selected options for this layout, you can include subcategories of a News Feed category.
For more information please see Menu Item Manager: Details Tab
This layout requires a category selection. This is done in the list box shown above in the screenshot. Select the desired top-level category. All child categories can be shown in the selected category if sub categories are selected to be shown in the 'Category Options' Tab. Chunk4x:Help screen column header Menu Title\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Menu Item Type\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Select a Category\en
- Menu: Shows which menu the link will appear in.
Advanced Details Tab
Category Options control the appearance of the screen when you click on a category link. The following options are available.
Chunk4x:Help screen column header Category Title\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Category Description\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Category Image\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Subcategory Levels\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Empty Categories\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Subcategories Descriptions\en
- Feeds in Category. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or hide the number of News Feeds in a Category.
List Layout Options
The List Layout Options control the appearance of the category drill-down page when that is presented as a Category List. The following options are available:
- Filter Field: (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to show a Filter field for the list. Select Hide to hide the filer field
- # Articles. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or hide the number of Articles in each News Feed. Other options are available to set this value in each individual News Feed.
- Feed Links. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or hide the feed links URLs.
Feed Display Options
The List All Categories Layout has the following Feed Display Options, as shown below.
The List All News Feed Categories Layout has the following Feed Display Options, as shown below. In addition to Yes/No or Hide/Show, these options allow the "Use Global" setting. This uses the default value from News Feeds Manager Options.
The Feed Display Options are as follows. Chunk4x:Help screen column header Feed Image\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Feed Description\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Feed Content\en
- Characters count. Number of characters to show if Feed Content from News Feeds is set to show.
- Feed display order. (Use Global/Most recent first/Oldest first) Select the feed display order, most recent first, oldest first, or Global, the setting in News Feeds Options.
Module Assignments Tab
At the top left you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save: Saves the menu item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the menu item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the menu item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another menu item.
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current menu item. Does not affect the current menu item. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new menu item.
- Categories can be "nested" into levels, similar to folders on a disk drive. In theory there is no absolute limit on the number of levels you can have. However, as a practical matter it is recommended to keep the levels to a minimum. The Show All Categories layout may not work correctly if the number of levels shown is greater than five.
- If you set up category titles as linkable, the user can drill down on the category. If there is a pre-existing menu item for this category (for example, a Category List menu item), then that menu item will show in the drill down and the options set for that menu item will control the page display. Otherwise, the options set for the current Show All Categories menu item will control the page display.
- You can set the option to drill down to a list in two places.
- Categories are created using Category Manager: Edit A Newsfeeds Category.
|Related Help Screens||Description|
|Components Newsfeeds Categories||News Feed Categories allow you to categorize different website feeds entering your site for better organization.|
|Components Newsfeeds Categories Edit||The New/Edit page for the News Feeds Category Manager is a create/edit screen that allows website administrators to create or edit News Feed Categories. Categories allow a broken down structure of News Feeds. You must have at least one category before you can create any News Feeds!|
|Components Newsfeeds Feeds||The News Feed Manager screen allows you to add News Feeds from other sites to your Joomla! site. You can add links to these feeds for users by creating News Feed layouts in Menu Item Manager - New/Edit.|
|Components Newsfeeds Feeds Edit||This is where you add a new News Feed or edit an existing one. Note that you need to create at least one News Feed Category before you can create your first News Feed.|
|Menus Menu Item Newsfeed Categories||Used to show a list of all RSS News Feed Categories. Categories are shown in a hierarchical list, as shown below. Depending on the selected options for this layout, you can click on a category Title to show the News Feeds in that category.|
|Menus Menu Item Newsfeed Single Newsfeed||Used to show a single RSS News Feed. The News Feed is selected from the list of News Feeds created in New/Edit News Feeds.|