Redirects: New or Edit
From Joomla! Documentation
This is where you can add a new redirect or edit an existing one. The URL you want to redirect from must not be a working one on your website which actually loads a web page. It can be the URL to a web page which you have disabled in the Joomla! back-end administrator interface. The Source URL you specify when you create the redirect should be the full URL as you would type it in your web browser. The Destination URL you specify when you create a redirect must be the full URL as well.
How to access
- Select System → Redirects from the Administrator menu. Then...
- To create a new redirect click the New button in the Toolbar.
- To edit an existing redirect click its link in the Expired URL column.
Edit/New Link #1
- Expired URL. The URL to be redirected.
- New URL. The URL to redirect to.
- Status: Published status of the item. Possible values are:
- Published: The item is published. This is the only state that will allow regular website users to view this item.
- Unpublished: The item is unpublished.
- Archived: The item has been archived.
- Trashed: The item has been sent to the Trash.
- Comment. A comment that is only viewable in the administrator back-end. It is primarily intended for administrator reference only.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays "0" until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
- Created Date. Date the item(Article, Category, Weblink, etc.) was created.
- Last Updated Date. Shows the last date the item was modified.
At the top of the page you will see the toolbar shown in the Screenshot above. The functions are:
- Save. Saves the item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another item.
- Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new item.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
How to Create a Redirect
- First ensure that you have enabled the option Use URL Rewriting in the Global Configuration options of your Joomla! installation. Note that just enabling the Use URL Rewriting option is not enough. You must also take the additional step of renaming the htaccess.txt file in the web server directory where you installed Joomla! to .htaccess or to whatever file name your Apache web server requires for additional configuration directives. In the Apache configuration file this setting is named 'AccessFileName' and by default this is set to '.htaccess'
- Next open the Redirect: Links screen and click the 'New' toolbar button.
- In the screen that appears, enter the redirect information. When entering URLs into the Expired URL and New URL fields, enter the complete URL as you would type it into your web browser to view it. The Expired URL should be a URL that does not resolve to any valid web page on your website. You can specify a source URL for a Joomla! web page that you have put into a disabled state in the administrator back-end. Ensure the State option is set to Enabled.
- Press the Save & Close toolbar button to save your new redirect and put it into effect.
- When entering URLs into the Expired/Source URL and New/Destination URL fields, enter the complete URL as you would type it into your web browser to view the web page.