Site Maintenance Clear Cache
From Joomla! Documentation
Component packaged with Joomla! core to clear cache files from the cache folders if enabled under the Site Global Configuration settings.
This tool will delete all Cache files from the cache folders - including current ones - from your web server. As admin functions are cached too, some cache folders might appear as if they were not cleaned because they get recreated before cache content is rescanned after this action.
Cache files are temporary files that are created to improve the performance of your site. If you have made significant changes to your web site, such as changing your Template or Language, your cache files may be out of date. To avoid any problems caused by out of date cache files, you can delete all of the cache files.
- Because this process deletes all Cache files, the website may be a little slower immediately after running Clean Cache. Once this process is complete, users lose the benefit of using the cache files until they are re-created by Joomla! to be up to date with your current site.
- In contrast, the Purge Expired Cache option will check each Cache file individually for being out of date, but the process is slower and requires more system resources. However, the website should perform close to the same speed for users visiting your site, since all up to date files are still available for your current Joomla! site.
How to Access
To access this screen:
- Select System → Clear Cache from the drop-down menus.
The drop-down list in sidebar left allows you to filter the list with the following options:
- Site. This is the default and allows you to see the cache files for the front-end of the web site.
- Administrator. Select this option to see the cache files for the Administrator back-end of the web site.
File:Help-4x-System-Clear-Cache-Columns-Header-en.png Chunk4x:Help screen column header Number\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Checkbox\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Cache Group\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Number of Files\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Size\en
At the top you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Delete: Deletes the selected items. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Delete All: Deletes all the items. Works with all items.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Normally you want to delete all cache files. To do this, click the check box in the column heading to select all files and then click the Delete icon in the toolbar.