From Joomla! Documentation
The Template Styles screen is used to manage both Site and Administrator templates. Use it to set the default template for all pages or assign a specific template to an individual page.
How to Access
- Select System → Templates Panel → Site Templates Styles from the Administrator menu. Or...
- Select System → Templates Panel → Administrator Templates Styles from the Administrator menu.
- Checkbox: Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Ordering. You can change the order of an item within a list as follows:
- If the list Filter Options include a Position filter select the desired Position. This will limit the list to items that are assigned to that Position.
- Select the Ordering icon in the Table heading to make it the active ordering item. The ordering icons in each row will change from light grey to dark grey and the pointer will change to a drag arrow on hover.
- Select one of the Ordering icons and drag it up or down to change the position of that row in the list. The items will display in the new order within the Position.
- Style. The name of the style. Select the link to edit the Style.
- Preview. Select to see a preview of the style if one is available.
- Default. The icon indicates which template is the default for all pages. Select a greyed icon to change the default template style.
- Pages. The Menu Items where this Module will be displayed. Options are "All" for all Menu Items, "None" for no Menu Items, and "Varies" for selected Menu Items. A Module will only display on Menu Items where it is selected.
- Template. The name of the template. Select a link to edit the templates files. Do not edit Joomla default templates - your changes may be lost if there is an update.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
Search bar. This is a common feature of most Lists. The layout is as shown below.
- Search by Text. Enter part of the search term and click the Search icon. The search may be of one or more fields. Hover to see a Tooltip indicating which fields will be searched. In some cases a different format is required. For Example, to Search by ID enter "id:xx", where "xx" is the item ID number (for example, "id:9").
- Filter Options. Click to display or hide the additional filters.
- Clear. Click to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
- Ordering. Shows the current table ordering field. Select from the drop down list to change the order or click a column heading. Ordering may be in ascending or descending order. The column heading toggles between ascending and descending order.
- Number to Display. Shows the number of items in a list. The default for a site is 20 but this may be changed in the global configuration. Select from the drop-down list to change the number displayed. If you select too many complex items they will be slow to deliver and display.
- Select Menu Item. Use the drop-down list box to select pages to which the style has been assigned.
- Select Template. Use the drop-down list box to select a template from those available.
At the top of the page you will see the toolbar shown in the Screenshot above. The functions are:
- Default: Makes the selected item the default item. The default star symbol () will show in the Default column, indicating that this is now the default item.
- Duplicate: Makes a copy of the selected item. The copy is created immediately and is given the same name as the original but prefixed with "Copy of" and/or suffixed with a number (eg. "(2)") so that it can be distinguished from the original and any other copies.
- Delete: Deletes the selected items. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
- Help. Opens this help screen.