From Joomla! Documentation
User notes are pieces of information which can be assigned to registered users on your Joomla! site. For example, user notes can contain comments about 'offending' or 'difficult' users, etc.
The User Notes screen presents a list of existing notes.
How to Access
- Select Users → User Notes from the Administrator menu.
- Or Select the Users Dashboard Icon from the Administrator menu. Then ...
- Select User Notes from the Miscellaneous panel.
In the table containing the user notes assigned to users registered on your Joomla! site, you will see different columns. Here you can read what they mean and what is displayed in that column.
- Checkbox: Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Status. (Published/Unpublished/Archived/Trashed) The published status of the item.
- Subject. The subject of the user note.
- User. The name of the user.
- Review date. The date when the user note was created.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays "0" until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
Near the top of the page you will see the filter bar shown in the Screenshot above. The functions are:
- Select Status. Select the desired status (Published, Unpublished, Archived, Trashed or All) to limit the list based on note status. Select "- Select State -" to list all notes regardless of its status.
- Select Category. Select a "Category" to list only notes in the category. Select "- Select Category -" to list all notes in any "Category".
- Select Max Levels. Select the maximum deep of the levels in a category to list notes. Select "- Select Max Levels -" to list all notes with any level.
At the top of the page you will see the toolbar shown in the Screenshot above. The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new user note.
- Actions: Reveals a list of actions for selected Items. Check one or more Item checkboxes to activate the list.
- Publish. Makes the selected user notes available to administrators of your website.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected user notes not available to administrators of your website.
- Archive. Changes the status of the selected user notes to indicate that they are archived. Archived user notes can be moved back to the published or unpublished state by selecting "Archived" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the user notes to Published or Unpublished as preferred.
- Check-In. Checks-in the selected user notes. Works with one or multiple user notes selected.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected user notes to indicate that they are trashed. Trashed user notes can still be recovered by selecting "Trashed" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the user notes to Published or Unpublished as preferred. To permanently delete trashed user notes, select "Trashed" in the Select Status filter, select the user notes to be permanently deleted, then click the Empty Trash toolbar icon.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
- Click on the subject to edit the user note properties.