From Joomla! Documentation
The Menus: Items page lists the menu items contained in a menu created using the Menu Manager. The Title bar shows the name of the selected menu or All Menu Items if that list is selected.
How to access
- Select Menus → All Menu Items from the Administrator menu. Or...
- Select Menus → [Menu Name] from the Administrator menu to select items for a specific menu.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Status. The published status of the item.
- Title. The name of the item. For a Menu Item, the Title will display in the Menu. For an Article or Category, the Title may optionally be displayed on the web page. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Menu. Shows which menu the link will appear in.
- Home. The yellow star icon designates which menu item is the current Home Page. Clicking on an empty Star icon will designate that menu item as the new Home Page.
- Access. The viewing Access Level for this item.
- Association: Shows which menu item this item is associated.
- Language. Item language.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays "0" until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
Near the top of the page you will see the filter bar shown in the Screenshot above. The functions are:
- Site/Administrator. The client where the menu is used.
- Select Menu. A field to select the menu you want to search.
- Search. Enter part of the menu's name and press the Search to find matching names. Press x or Clear to clear the search field and restore the list of menus.
- Ordering: (default). The column in which to sort displayed items in the table. The values are the same as the column heading names.
- Select Status. Select from Trashed / Unpublished / Published / Archived / All.
- Select Access. Select from the list of available viewing access levels.
- Select Language. Select from the list of available languages, if the site manages more than 1 language.
- Select Max Levels. Select from the list of available levels.
- Select Component. Select from the list of components used by the menu items
Filter by Parent Menu Item. Lets you show only items of a menu item.
- - Select Parent Menu Item -: Show all menu items.
- <your menu item>: Show items only for this menu item.
At the top of the page you will see the toolbar shown in the Screenshot above. The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new menu item.
- Actions: Reveals a list of actions for selected Items. Check one or more Item checkboxes to activate the list.
- Publish. Makes the selected menu items available to visitors to your website.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected menu items unavailable to visitors to your website.
- Check-In. Checks-in the selected menu items. Works with one or multiple menu items selected.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected menu items to indicate that they are trashed.Trashed menu items can still be recovered by selecting 'Trashed' in the 'Select Status' filter and changing the status of the articles to Published or Unpublished as preferred.To permanently delete trashed menu items, select 'Trashed' in the 'Select Status' filter, select the menu items to be permanently deleted, then click the 'Empty Trash' toolbar icon.
- Batch. Batch processes the selected menu items. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Rebuild. Reconstructs and refreshes the relevant table. Normally, you do not need to rebuild this table. This function is provided in case the data in the table becomes corrupted.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
The Batch Process allows a change in settings for a group of selected items. To use: click on the Batch button found on top of the table of items being viewed to activate the drop down field area.
<Item Type> refers to the page name of items.
You can change one value or all four values at one time.
- Note - if you copy items to a new category, changes you have selected from access level and language will be applied to the copies, not the original.
How to Batch Process a group of items:
- Select one or more items on the list by selecting the desired checkbox(es).
- Set one or more of the following values:
- To change the Access Levels, select the desired new access level from the Set Access Level list box.
- To change the Language, select the desired language from the Set Language list box.
- To add a Tag, select the desired tag from the Add Tag list box.
- To change the Category, select a category. To leave the category unchanged, use the default value of "Select".
- To copy the items to a different category, select the desired category from the category list box and check the Copy option. In this case, the original items are unchanged and the copies are assigned to the new category and, if selected, the new access level and language.
- To move the items to a different category, select the desired category from the category list box and check the Move option. In this case, the original items will be moved to a new category and, if selected, be assigned the new access level and language.
- When all of the settings are entered, click on Process to perform the changes. A message "Batch process completed successfully." will show.
Note that nothing will happen if you (a) don't have any items selected or (b) have not selected an access level, language, or category.
If you wish to clear your entered selections, click on the Clear button. This will return all of the Batch controls to their default values. Note that this does not uncheck the check boxes for the items.
- Select an item and click on the Home button to set your Home page.
- Set different filter options to only show some of the menu items.