How to split an Article
From Joomla! Documentation
(Redirected from How to split an Article 1.6)
Articles in this Series
The aim of this document is to show how to split Articles into pages or to present a READ MORE .. choice.
Sometimes an article seems too long for the screen. The editors have two features that allow an article to be split:-
- Read more .. which enables the article to be read in full following a few 'taster' lines.
- Pagebreak which enables a long article to be split into pages.
Who is it written for?
If you have a long article, try it because it is a minor edit and can improve layout.
Insert a Read More .. break
There are some pages where a short taster extract gives enough information for readers to be aware of the content of the article. If they wish to read more detail, they can choose to see the whole article. This is often used for news or blogs where there is limited room on the main page and readers are not interested in all content. A good solution is to use the Read More . . facility.
- Open the article for editing
- Make sure that the the first few lines (that are going to be the 'taster' text) give a good idea of the content of the rest of the article
- Place the cursor at the end of the taster text
One of the buttons underneath the Editor screen is called Read more
- Click the Read more .. button
A dotted line is inserted into the article.
- Save the article
Only the taster text is displayed. At the end of it there is a READ MORE button.
- Click on this to show the rest of the article.
To delete the Read More .. feature
- Find the position of the Read more division, which is a dotted line on the screen
- Highlight it
- Press the Delete button on your keyboard
It is sometimes useful to split a long article into shorter sections. This also creates a table of contents, with the entries being the Page Titles that you enter for each page. You have to decide on how long each page is to be but the index includes an option to view the whole article, so a reader is not restricted to one page at the time. This can be a useful option for some articles.
Insert a page break
- Open the article in the editor
- Position the cursor where you want a page break
Underneath the Editor screen
- Click on the Pagebreak button
A small dialogue box appears above the editor. The Page Title is likely to be the name of the heading or main content of the next part of the article. If you do not enter anything - this becomes the page number by default.
- Enter the name of the page
- Click Insert
When the article is saved, there is an index and also navigation at the bottom of each page.
Delete a page break
- Open the editor
The breaks in the article are marked by a grey image across the screen
- Find the page breaks
- Place the mouse cursor in the image
- Press Delete on the keyboard
Lorna Scammell March 2011