(Redirected from Intermediate Beginners)
These articles and tutorials cover more advanced topics for Joomla! administrators and web masters. If you are brand new to Joomla! or using a CMS (content managment system), you should start on the beginners page.
- 1 Exploring the Possibilities with Joomla! Core
- 2 Joomla! Search Engine Optimization
- 3 Learn to Backup and Restore
- 4 Recovering Your System Administration Password
- 5 Converting an Existing Website to Joomla!
- 6 Learning the Basics of Joomla! Templating
- 7 Creating a Local Joomla! Installation
- 8 Using Mootools
Exploring the Possibilities with Joomla! Core
- Learn what is possible given the core Joomla! Menu Types Scribd by xalnx;
- Understand all the options available when you create a Joomla! Category Blog Layout Scribd by hashani;
- Watch this video on How to embed media within a Joomla! article by mdranta;
- Explore the possibilities with Using the media manager Scribd by SharifOerton;
- Learn How to Use Joomla!'s Register to Read More Scribd by drmmr763;
- Make certain to learn how to Create a custom HTML module Scribd by blitzprog;
- Learn how to Use the Media Manager to Offer File Downloads Scribd by fervidfrogger;
- Learn how to create a simple Image Gallery using the Media Manager Scribd by SharifOerton;
- Learn how to use core Contact functions to create a services or resources directory Scribd by Chad Windnagle (drmmr763);
- Take time to explore how to use the News flash module to display random or rotating selection of texts Scribd by tj.ferrell;
- Take advantage of the Banners component and module to feature different parts of a website Scribd by Branko Pajic (balvanboy);
- Read through the Help screens to find out about all options available at the Back-end
Joomla! Search Engine Optimization
Search Engine Optimization is the practice of doing whatever is needed to help make your Web site rank higher in return results for a search engine. For some, this is very important aspect of attracting visitors to their site. Most experts agree, however, that the single best way to improve your chance of getting attention on the Internet is to provide good content on a regular basis. There are several things that you can do using core functionality to make your Joomla! Web site more SEO friendly. Here are some important areas to focus.
- Configuring and troubleshoot SEF URLs:
- Removing WWW from your domain name: How to remove "WWW" from your Domain Name and Why it matters Scribd by theoclymenus
- Create a Custom 404 Page: Custom Error Pages, including 404's
Learn to Backup and Restore
Learn to backup your Joomla! database. Learn to restore your Joomla! database. Frequent backups are the best way to make sure you can recover if your site has a problem. This video entitled How to backup and restore a Joomla! database using phpMyAdmin by kristofdb.
Recovering Your System Administration Password
Watch this video by James Ramsey entitled How to Recover your Administrator Password using phpMyAdmin.
Converting an Existing Website to Joomla!
Check out the Converting an existing website to a Joomla! website guide for great step by step instructions.
Learning the Basics of Joomla! Templating
- Using CSS Class Suffixes: How to use CSS class suffixes in Joomla! 1.5 Scribd by takercena.
- Getting Rid of Tables: If you do not like tables in your Joomla! output, please see Getting Started with Template Overrides Scribd by Wickrama Arachchi Vithanage Hashani Maduwanthi Weerarathna (Hashani)
- Troubleshooting a Template Installation: If you are having trouble installing a template, see How to resolve problems with a template installation Scribd by Chad Windnagle (drmmr763).
- Questions? Joomla! v 1.5 Template Questions
Creating a Local Joomla! Installation
People creating complex websites often like to work on their own computer and to move the whole site to their web server when it is ready.
To do this you will need to install a webserver (such as Apache or IIS), PHP and MySQL on your local machine. There are a number of tools that make it easy to do this.
For Apache you can install XAMPP and then perform a normal web based Joomla! installation on your computer.
For IIS you can install the Windows Web platform.
There are many great things you can do with Mootools, included in Joomla! v 1.5. Check out these resources to learn how: