J4.x:Getting Started: Adding a Menu Item
From Joomla! Documentation
Suppose one of your articles is sufficiently important for it to merit a menu item - a link to it from the Main Menu. That would be a Single Article menu item type. There are several ways to create a new menu item:
- In the Administrator menu, expand the Menus item and select the + icon beside the Main Menu item.
- Select Main Menu in the Administrator menu and then select the New button in the Toolbar.
- Select All Menu Items in the Administrator menu and then select the New button in the Toolbar. If you use this route you also need to select the Menu the new item will appear in.
The Menu Edit Page
The Menus: New Item form has four compulsory fields to complete:
- Menu Title. Enter a meaningful word or short phrase that will fit nicely into the Main Menu box.
- Menu Item Type. Select from a two-part list: a modal dialog offers a Menu Item Type list; open the Articles list and select the Single Article type at the bottom of the list.
- Select Article. Another modal dialog with a list of Articles on your site. Find and select the article this menu item will link to.
- Menu. Over on the right (or below on small screens) check that a menu is selected.
That is all that must be done. Everything else is optional. Save & Close the using the Toolbar button and have a look at the Site Home page. The menu item in the Main menu links directly to that page.
Multiple Menu Items
So far so good. But what happens when you have 10 or 100 or 1000 or more articles? It is time to think of other ways of managing articles and other page layouts.