Joomla 4 User Manual Index
From Joomla! Documentation
This article or section is in the process of an expansion or major restructuring. You are welcome to assist in its construction by editing it as well. If this article or section has not been edited in several days, please remove this template.
About this Document
This document contains a list of about 300 articles obtained from three namespaces: none (Main), J3.x and J4.x, aimed at Users rather than Programmers. The list has been classified to form the basis of a User Manual. The objective is to rewrite the content by merging and simplifying similar documents. Early days ... 30 September 2022, 23 December 2022.
The list is in alphabetic section order in English, apart from the first Getting Started section. Each section is in mostly logical order, most relevant first. Some sections and some documents still need revision.
The Manual will be aimed at Joomla 4 and later. There will be barely any mention of earlier versions. Translators of this document should be aware that there are very few <translate>...</translate> tags, one pair at the top and bottom, and one pair to exclude essential div tags from translation. This results in segmentation on blank lines and presents you with a whole block of links for translation. When translating links please do not translate the URL. Only translate the title words that are separated by spaces. And translate the headings.
- J4.x Introduction to Joomla!
- J4.x Joomla Core Features
- J4.x Hosting Setup
- J4.x Installing Joomla
- J4.x Logging in to Joomla
- J4.x Articles and Categories
- J4.x Getting Started: Adding an Article
- J4.x Getting Started: Adding a Category
- J4.x Getting Started: Adding a Menu Item
- J4.x Getting Started: Adding a Module
- J4.x Getting Started: Site and Administrator templates
- Main: Keyboard Shorcuts
- J4.x Create and Manage Article Categories
- J4.x Adding a New Article
- J4.x Deleting an Article
- J4.x Featured Articles
- J4.x How to Archive an Article
- J4.x Article Headings
- Main: Adding an image to an article
- J4.x Article Links
- J4.x Adding a menu link in an article
- J4.x Read More Links
- J4.x Article Lists
- J4.x Article Pagination
- J4.x Article Tables
Articles - Access
- J4.x Article Check-out and Check-in
- J4.x Article Preview
- J4.x Scheduling the publication of an article
- J4.x Restricting access to an Article
- Main: Restricting access to "read more"
Articles - Metadata
- J4.x Banners
- Help4.x Banners
- Help4.x Banners: Edit
- Help4.x Banners: Categories
- Help4.x Banners: Clients
- Help4.x Banners: New or Edit Client
- Help4.x Banners: Tracks
Command Line Interface
- J4.x System Setup
- J4.x Global Configuration
- J4.x Site Offline
- Main: How do I use Gmail as my mail server?
- Main: How to debug SMTP mail in Joomla 4
- Main: Preconfigured htaccess
- Main: Robots.txt file
- Main: Adding www to a url
- Main: How do you block direct hot linking to image files using htaccess?
- Main: How do you block directory scans using htaccess?
- Main: What are the recommended file and directory permissions?
- Main: How do you convert an htaccess.txt file into a .htaccess file?
- Main: How do you password protect directories using htaccess?
- J4.x Home Dashboard
- J4.x Content Dashboard
- J4.x Menu Dashboard
- J4.x Components Dashboard
- J4.x Users Dashboard
- J4.x System Dashboard
- J4.x Help Dashboard
- Main: Content Editors
- Main: Entering raw HTML in editors
- Main: Why are the backgrounds of your WYSIWYG editor fields colored?
- Main: Why do the pop ups in your WYSIWYG editor not work or show gibberish?
- Main: How to place a copy of an Excel worksheet on to your web site for viewing only
- J4.x System Install
- Main: Free and Commercial extensions
- Main: What is a vulnerable extension?
- Main: Where can you learn about vulnerable extensions?
- Main: How do you choose secure extensions?
- Main: Why are there vulnerable extensions?
- Main: Why isn't un-publishing a vulnerable extension enough to protect your site?
- Main: Installing an extension
- J4.x Using Bootstrap Components in Joomla 4
- J4.x Fields and Field Groups
- J3.x Adding custom fields/Multilingual Sites
- J3.x Adding custom fields/Overrides
- J3.x Adding custom fields/Parameters for all Custom Fields
- J3.x Adding custom fields/What components are supporting custom fields
- J3.x Adding custom fields/Calendar Field
- J3.x Adding custom fields/Checkboxes Field
- J3.x Adding custom fields/Color Field
- J3.x Adding custom fields/Editor Field
- J3.x Adding custom fields/Integer Field
- J3.x Adding custom fields/List Field
- J3.x Adding custom fields/List of Images Field
- J3.x Adding custom fields/Media Field
- J3.x Adding custom fields/Radio Field
- J3.x Adding custom fields/Sql Field
- Main Custom fields type
- Subform - see above which seems out of date
- J3.x Adding custom fields/Text Field
- J3.x Adding custom fields/Textarea Field
- J3.x Adding custom fields/Url Field
- J3.x Adding custom fields/User Field
- J3.x Adding custom fields/Usergroup Field
- Main: Technical Requirements
- J4.x Optional Technical Requirements
- J4.x Hosting Setup
- J4.x Apache PHP Handler
- Main: Moving the site among directories/sub-directories
- Main: Multiple Domains and Web Sites in a single Joomla! installation
- Main: Nginx
- Main: Should PHP run as a CGI script or as an Apache module?
- Main: What is the difference between a Sub-Domain,_Parked_Domain_and_an_Add-On_Domain?
- Main: How do UNIX file permissions work?
- Main: How do Windows file permissions work?
- Main: How do phpSuExec file permissions work?
- Main: How do you recursively adjust file and directory permissions?
- Main: How do you restrict directory access by IP address using htaccess?
- Main: How to check if mod rewrite is enabled on your server
- Main: Using an FTP client to upload files
- Main: How to build your free Joomla Website
- Main: FreeBSD Installation
- Main: IBM cloud installation
- Main: IIS
- Main: Installing Joomla! using BitNami Joomla! stack
- Main: Installing Joomla on Debian Linux
- Main: Installing Joomla on a Raspberry Pi
- Main: Installing Joomla on a local web server
- Main: Installing Joomla on a rented web server
- Main: Installing Joomla using an Auto Installer
- J4.x Setup a Multilingual Site
- J4.x Multilingual Associations
- J4.x Language Overrides
- Main: Debugging a translation
- J4.x Managing Media
- J4.x Media: Upload Delete Rename
- J4.x Media: Image Crop Resize Rotate
- J4.x Media: Options
- J4.x Uploading SVG Files
- J4.x Adding a New Menu
- J4.x Menu Items
- J4.x Menu Item Types
- J4.x Menu Item Order
- J4.x Submenus
- J4.x Menu Positions
- Main: Auto redirect guests to login
- J4.x Adding a menu link in an article
- J4.x How to Create a Menu Item to View Archived Articles
- J4.x Adding a Custom Administrator Menu
- Main: Why Migrate
- Main: Joomla 3.x to 4.x Step by Step Migration
- J4.x Updating from an existing version
- Main: Migration Step by Step Self Assessment
- Main: Converting an existing website to a Joomla! website
- J3.x Update fails with an error message
- J3.x Updating Joomla (Install Method)
- J3.x Updating Joomla (Update Method)
- Main: Planning Migration - Joomla 1.5 to 4
- Main: Planning for Migration
- Main: Planning for Mini-Migration - Joomla 3.10.x to 4.x
- Main: Potential backward compatibility issues in Joomla 4
- Main: Pre-Update Check
- Main: Template Considerations During Migration
- J4.x Site Modules
- J4.x Administrator Modules
- J4.x Module Positions
- J4.x Module Display by Menu Item
- Main: How do you put a module inside an article?
- Main: Enabling the Login Form module
- Main: Changing the Login Form module settings
- Main: Customising the Login Form module
- Main: Module Class Suffix
- Main: Standard Module Chromes
- J4.x How to Show a Calendar Month List of Archived Articles Using a Module
- Main: How do you create a custom module?
- Main: How to control module display when linking to an article with no menu item
- Main: How do you add a PayPal button?
- Main: Administrator Password Recovery
- J4.x Assorted Issues
- J4.x Unsupported PHP Version
- J4.x FatalError
- J4.x Fix "Cannot reorder menu entries"
- J4.x Fix "Database Table Structure NOT Up to Date" before Update
- J4.x Help
- Main: Get locally hosted Joomla! website e-mail functions to work
- Main: Joomla and MySQL 8
- Main: Please first make a selection from the list
- Main: Unable to connect to the database
- Main: Update did not finish successfully
- Main: Joomla Licenses
- Main: What has the copyright of Joomla!?
- Main: What license is Joomla! released under?
- Main: What are web standards?
- Main: Where are the web pages?
- Main: What is the Joomla! Administrator's Security Checklist?
- Main: Enabling HTTPS on your site
- Main: Htaccess examples (security)
- Main: Security Checklist/Getting Started
- Main: Security Checklist/Hosting and Server Setup
- Main: Security Checklist/Where can you learn more about file permissions?
- Main: Security Checklist/Testing and Development
- Main: Security Checklist/Joomla! Setup
- Main: Security Checklist/Site Administration
- Main: Security Checklist/Site Recovery
- Main: Security Checklist/You have been hacked or defaced
- Main: Security - Before you go live
- Main: Security FAQ
- Main: Security and Performance FAQs
- Main: Security filters for articles
- Main: Securing Joomla extensions
- J4.x Http Header Management
- Main: What is Search Engine Optimisation
- Main: Making your site Search Engine Friendly
- Main: Search Engine Friendly URLs
- Main: Using a Site Map
- Main: Using_The_Title_Tag
- Main: Using The Meta Description
- Main: Using Keywords
- Main: Semantic HTML Markup
- Main: Linking to Other Sites
- Main: Important SEO Points to Remember
- Main: Monitoring SEO
- Main: Common problems when enabling Search Engine Friendly (SEF) URLs
- Main: Enabling Search Engine Friendly (SEF) URLs
- Main: Enabling Search Engine Friendly (SEF) URLs on Apache
- Main: Enabling Search Engine Friendly (SEF) URLs on Hiawatha
- Main: Enabling Search Engine Friendly (SEF) URLs on IIS
- Main: Enabling Search Engine Friendly (SEF) URLs on IIS/IIS6
- Main: Enabling Search Engine Friendly (SEF) URLs on IIS/IIS6/1.0
- Main: Enabling Search Engine Friendly (SEF) URLs on IIS/IIS6/1.5
- Main: Enabling Search Engine Friendly (SEF) URLs on IIS/IIS7
- Main: Enabling Search Engine Friendly (SEF) URLs on Nginx
- Main: Smart Search quickstart guide
- Main: Smart Search on large sites
- Main: Customising the Smart Search results page
- Main: Setting up automatic Smart Search indexing
- Main: Smart Search Frequently Asked Questions
- Main: Smart Search configuration options
- Main: Smart Search content change test plan
- Main: Creating a Plugin
- Main: Cache
- Main: Backup Basics for a Joomla! Web Site
- Main: What are the best practices for site backups?
- Main: Copying a Joomla website
- Main: Copying a website from localhost to a remote host
- Main: Database Table Prefix
- Main: Monitoring Server Health
- Main: Monitoring Site Speed
- Main: One click updates for language packs
- Main: Purging expired cache files
- Main: Top 10 Stupidest Administrator Tricks
- Main: Updating PHP
- J4.x Task Scheduler
- Main: Uploading and extracting an archive file with CPanel
- Main: Using Caching to Speed Up Your Code
- J4.x Template Basics
- J4.x Cassiopeia Template Customisation
- J4.x Template Overrides
- J4.x Template Layouts
- J4.x Child Templates
- J4.x Favicons
- J4.x Template SVG Logos
- J4.x Cassiopeia templateDetails.xml
- J4.x Switching Templates
- J4.x Home Page in Different Style
- J4.x Module and Menu Styles
- J4.x Font Awesome Fonts
- Main: Visual Studio Code Primer
- Main: Visual Studio Code
- J4.x Developer: Eclipse PDT
- J4.x Developer: File Structure
- J4.x Developer: Required Software
- Main: Setting up Apache, PHP and MySQL manually
- Main: Verifying permissions
- Main: Web page diagnostic tools
- Main: XAMPP
- J4.x Access Control
- J4.x User Registration
- J4.x User Profile
- J4.x User Password Reset
- Main: WebAuthn Passwordless Login
- J4.x Multi-factor Authentication
- Help4.x Mass Mail Help
- Help4.x Private Messages Help
- Main: How do you recover or reset your admin password?
- J4.x Guest Access
- Main: Changing user groups
- J4.x Login and Logout Redirects
- Main: Why can't a user see anything on the backend?
- J4.x User Actions Log