Joomla! CMS versions
From Joomla! Documentation
Check for the latest Joomla! CMS version. If you are not on the latest release, read the release notes to see if you need to upgrade. If a release is being made in order to address security issues then it is strongly advised that you upgrade as soon as possible. You can see the release history of each series in the table below. Click the version history link in the notes column to find details on exact release date, release notes and package and MD5s.
- Normally, you should use the latest version of Joomla! for a new site unless you have a specific reason not to.
- The latest version can be downloaded from Joomla! Downloads site.
- Make sure you subscribe to the Joomla! Security Announcements feed. This RSS feed is used to make announcements, including the availability of new releases, that could affect the security of your site. You have the option to subscribe to this feed by RSS or email.
- If you are running an earlier release of the current version (for example, you are running 3.1.6 and the current version is 3.4.1), you should upgrade to the current version. Each minor release fixes a number of bugs and/or security issues. It is always good practice to upgrade to the latest maintenance version as a first step in troubleshooting a problem and fixing any newly discovered security issues.
Joomla! CMS versions
|CMS Version||Available||Support||End of Life||Upgrade Type||Notes||Latest Release|
|3.9||3.10 release||One-click||Recommended for all new installs
Joomla! 3.9 version history
|3.8||3.9 release||One-click||Upgrade to 3.9.5 now
Joomla! 3.8 version history
|3.7||3.8 release||One-click||Upgrade to 3.9.5 now
Joomla! 3.7 version history
|3.6||3.7 release||One-click||Upgrade to 3.9.5 now
Joomla! 3.6 version history
|3.5||3.6 release||One-click||Upgrade to 3.9.5 now
Joomla 3.5 version history
|3.4||3.5 release||One-click||Upgrade to 3.9.5 now
Joomla 3.4 version history
|3.3||3.4 release||One-click||Upgrade to 3.9.5 now
Joomla 3.3 version history
|3.2||Oct 2014||One-click||Upgrade server's PHP to 5.3.10 or greater and upgrade to 3.9.5 now
Joomla 3.2 version history
|3.1||Dec 2013||One-click||Upgrade to 3.9.5 now
Joomla 3.1 version history
|3.0||May 2013||One-click||Upgrade to 3.9.5 now
Joomla 3.0 version history
|2.5||December 31st, 2014||Migration to 3.x||Upgrade to 3.9.5 now
Joomla 2.5 version history
|1.7||Feb 2012||Migration to 3.x||Plan to migrate to 3.9.5 now
Joomla 1.7 version history
|1.6||Aug 2011||Migration to 3.x||Plan to migrate to 3.9.5 now
Joomla 1.6 version history
|1.5||Sept 2012||Migration to 3.x||Plan to migrate to 3.9.5 now
Joomla 1.5 version history
|EOL at 1.5.26|
|1.0||22 July 2009||Migration to 3.x||Plan to migrate to 3.9.5 now||EOL at 1.0.15|
- See J3's roadmap for time frames of all future releases of all Joomla! 3 versions.
- Bug fixes will cease April 2014, security fixes only, see http://community.joomla.org/blogs/leadership/1798-raising-the-bar-on-security.html.
"Also, for the six months after Joomla! 3.3 is released, the Joomla! Project will be releasing Security Updates for both 3.2 AND 3.3 so any new vulnerabilities can be promptly patched with a one-click update without the need to immediately update to Joomla! 3.3, giving you time to request your hosting provider to update their PHP version."