Manage articles using the Front-end of Joomla! 1.5
From Joomla! Documentation
(Redirected from Manage articles using the Front-end)
The aim of this document is to outline things that can be done to manage Articles using the Front-end of the Joomla! site. Some important functions can be done here without the permissions to login to the Back-end. It is one of a series of documents introducing Joomla! version 1.5.
Who is it written for?
- You need to be logged in with a username with at least Author permissions.
- It is useful for people who will administer a site to know that some tasks can be done using the Front-end, so even the experienced should have a go here.
What is the Front-end?
The Front-end of a Joomla! site is the public interface. It is the part seen by any visitor to the site and you have already used it for adding and altering content. Authors, Editors and Publishers can login to this part of the site, as you have already seen.
Manage Articles using the Front-end
Some content management can be done from the Front-end and many Web sites encourage their contributors to do this as it makes the site more interactive and responsive to change.
Add and alter content
There are other documents in this series that show you how to add new articles and how to alter them. Most Joomla! sites allow this. The alternative is that content is added in the Back-end, thus limiting the types of people who can update the site. See Get to know the Back-end
Publish and unpublish content
- Publishers and Editors: When you add a new article, you are able to publish it by ticking Yes in the Publish choice in the editor. (cross reference)
- Authors cannot publish or unpublish their articles
To Unpublish content
To keep a site up-to-date, it is good policy to clear out old content. This is especially applicable to news items or information about events that have past. Unpublishing makes the article invisible to the normal visitor to the web site.
- Publishers and Editors: In edit mode - in the Publishing section:-
- Click the No choice for Published
- Save the article
You will still be able to see it - but the edit icon is now a different colour and if you pass the mouse pointer over the title - it gives the information that it is Unpublished.
To get it removed entirely - the site administrator has to delete it in the Back-end.
Position Articles in an appropriate place
This too is done in the Publishing part of the editor screen. The detail depends on the design of the web site in use.
- When an article is created, you often select a Section and a Category for it (or leave it uncategorised). You can change the selection to a different Section and Category later.
- Section: choose from the pull-down list
- Category: the choices depend on the Section chosen
The editor also allows you to:-
- Schedule an article with dates in Start Publishing and Finish Publishing.
- Access Level: choose the appropriate one for your site.
- Front Page: this is rarely altered to Yes.
There are documents in this series about the Administrator Back-end of Joomla! web sites. These also have references to comprehensive documentation about Administration.
--Lorna Scammell December 2010