Menus Menu Item Menu Item Alias
From Joomla! Documentation
Used to create a link from one Menu Item to another Menu Item. This link can be to another Menu's, Menu Item or within the same Menu. See Quick Tips for use.
How to Access
Add a new menu item 'Menu Item Alias'
- Select Menus → [name of the menu] → Add New Menu Item from the dropdown menu of the Administrator Panel
- Select System Links → Menu Item Alias in the modal popup window.
Edit an existing menu item 'Menu Item Alias'
- Click on the menu item's Title in Menu items.
- Menu Title. The title that will display for this menu item.
- Alias. The internal name of the menu item. Normally, you can leave this blank and Joomla will fill in a default value. The default value is the Title in lower case and with dashes instead of spaces. You may enter the Alias manually. Learn more about Aliases.
- Menu Item Type. The Menu Item Type selected when this menu item was created. This can be one of the core menu item types or a menu item type provided by an installed extension.
- Menu Item. Select a Menu Item name to point Alias Menu Item name at. The drop down list is sectioned by Menu Names, with a list of Menu Item names under each Menu Name.
- Link. The system-generated link for this menu item. This field cannot be changed and is for information only.
- Use Redirection. (Yes/No) If set to Yes then visitors will be redirected to the linked menu item.
- Target Window. This determines how the new page will be opened. Options are:
- Parent: Open new menu item in parent window. This is the default.
- New Window With Navigation: Open menu item in a new window with full browser navigation (for example, "back" button).
- New Without Navigation: Open menu item in a new window without browser navigation.
- Template Style. Controls the template style for this menu item. A list box will show the available template styles for your site.
- - Use Default -: Use the default style for the site to show this menu item.
- [Template Style]: Select a specific template style to always show this menu item with that style.
- Menu. Shows which menu the menu item will appear in.
- Parent Item. The parent menu item for this menu item. Used to determine whether a Menu Item is a top-level item or a submenu item.
- Menu Item Root: Select the default value if this is a top-level Menu Item.
- [menu item title]: Select the Menu Item that is this menu item's parent.
- Ordering. Indicates the order of this Menu Item in the Menu. The default Order is to add the Menu Item to the end of the Menu. This Menu Item will moved to the order position just after the Menu Item selected from the dropdown list. Note: The Order can also be changed in Menu Items.
- Status. (Published/Unpublished/Trashed) The published status of the menu item.
- Default Page. (Yes/No) If Yes, this menu item is the default or home page for the site. There must be exactly one menu item set as the default page. You can change the default page in 2 ways:
- Click on the Home column of the desired menu item in Menu Items.
- Open the menu item for the new default page and change the Default Page setting to Yes.
- Access. Who has access to this menu item.
- Public: Everyone has access.
- Guest: Everyone has access.
- Registered: Only registered users have access.
- Special: Only users with author status or higher have access.
- Super Users: Only super users have access.
- Language. Select the language for this menu item. If you are not using the multi-language feature of Joomla, keep the default of All.
- Note. Menu item note. This is normally for the site administrator's use (for example, to document information about this menu item) and does not show in the Frontend of the site.
- Link Title Attribute. An optional, custom description for the title attribute of the menu hyperlink.
- Link Class. An optional class to apply to the menu hyperlink.
- Link Image. Select an image to use with 'Menu Title'. Use 'Add Menu Title' set to No to show just image.
- Image Class. The class which is added to the image (src tag).
- Add Menu Title. (Yes/No) If optional image is selected, shows a 'Menu Title' next to image.
- Display in Menu. (Yes/No) Select No if you want to exclude this menu item from displaying in the menu.Note: Any submenu items will also be hidden.
- Unassigned Modules. (Show/Hide) Show or hide modules unassigned to this menu item.
- Unpublished Modules. (Show/Hide) Show or hide modules that are unpublished.
At the top left you will see the toolbar.
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the menu item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the menu item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the menu item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another menu item.
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current menu item. Does not affect the current menu item.Note: This toolbar icon is only shown if you edit an existing menu item.
- Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Leave the alias field empty if the menu item alias and the menu item linked to by the alias have the same parent.
- A Main Menu Item Alias could link to an Article Menu's 'Some Menu Type' Menu Item. By using Module Assignments, a possible use would be to replace the Main Menu with the Article Menu when the Alias Menu Item is clicked. A return to Main Menu when another Alias Menu Item is clicked pointed back to a Menu Item in the Main Menu.