Components Weblinks Categories
From Joomla! Documentation
Web Links Categories are for the Web Links Component only. They are separate from other Categories, such as those for Articles, Banners, News Feeds and Contacts.
How to Access
Select Components → Weblinks → Categories from the Administrator menu.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Ordering. You can change the order of an item within a list as follows:
- If the list Filter Options include a Position filter select the desired Position. This will limit the list to items that are assigned to that Position.
- Select the Ordering icon in the Table heading to make it the active ordering item. The ordering icons in each row will change from light grey to dark grey and the pointer will change to a drag arrow on hover.
- Select one of the Ordering icons and drag it up or down to change the position of that row in the list. The items will display in the new order within the Position.
- Title. The name of the item. For a Menu Item, the Title will display in the Menu. For an Article or Category, the Title may optionally be displayed on the web page. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Status. Status of Category, Published or Unpublished are shown with icons as follows:
- Access. The viewing Access Level for this item.
- Language. Item language.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays "0" until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
Search bar. Near the top of the page you will see the search bar shown in the Screenshot above.
- Search by Text. Enter part of the search term and click the Search icon. Hover to see a Tooltip indicating which fields will be searched. To 'Search by ID' enter "id:x", where "x" is the ID number (for example, "id:19").
- Filter Options. Click to display the additional filters.
- Clear. Click to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
- Ordering. Shows the current list ordering field. 2 ways to change the order:
- Select from the dropdown list. Ordering may be in ascending or descending order.
- Click a column heading. The column heading toggles between ascending and descending order.
- Number to Display. Shows the number of categories in a list. Select from the dropdown list to change the number displayed. The default for a site is 20 set in the Global Configuration.
The selections may be combined. Only items matching all selections will be displayed in the list.
- Select Status. Use the drop-down list box to select the published state: Published, Unpublished, Trashed, or All. For Articles, you may also select Archived. Important: With the default setting of -Select Status-, the screen only shows Published and Unpublished items. If you have the filter set to -Select Status- and you change items to Trashed, the Trashed items will disappear from the screen. However, they have not been permanently deleted. To do that you need to:
- Change the filter to Trashed. The Delete icon will now show in the toolbar.
- Select the items you want to permanently delete.
- Click on the Delete icon.
- You can see all items, regardless of their published state, by selecting All for this filter. You can also re-publish Trashed items by selecting them and clicking on the Publish icon in the toolbar.
- Select Access. Select from the list of available viewing access levels.
- Select Language. Select from the list of available languages, if the site manages more than 1 language.
- Select Tag. Select from the list of available tags.
- Select Max Levels. Select from the list of available levels.
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new web link category.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected web link category. If more than one web link category is selected (where applicable), only the first web link category will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Name of the web link category.
- Publish. Makes the selected web link categories available to visitors to your website.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected web link categories unavailable to visitors to your website.
- Archive. Changes the status of the selected web link categories to indicate that they are archived. Archived web link categories can be moved back to the published or unpublished state by selecting 'Archived' in the 'Select Status' filter and changing the status of the web link categories.
- Check-In. Checks-in the selected web link categories. Works with one or multiple web link categories selected.
- Batch. Batch processes the selected web link categories. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Rebuild. Reconstructs and refreshes the web link category table. Normally, you do not need to rebuild this table. This function is provided in case the data in the table becomes corrupted.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected web link categories to indicate that they are trashed.Trashed web link categories can still be recovered by selecting 'Trashed' in the 'Select Status' filter and changing the status of the articles to Published or Unpublished as preferred.To permanently delete trashed web link categories, select 'Trashed' in the 'Select Status' filter, select the web link categories to be permanently deleted, then click the 'Empty Trash' toolbar icon.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
- To work with Web Links: Web Links
- To add new Web Links Categories: Web Links Category - New/Edit