Components Weblinks Links
From Joomla! Documentation
Components Help Screens
The Weblinks Manager allows you to manage links to other web sites and organize them into categories.
How to Access
Select Components → Web Links → Links from the drop-down menu of the Joomla! Administrator Panel, or select the "Web Links" link on the Web Links Category Manager screen.
The Web Links Manager allows you to add, edit and remove links to other web sites on your Joomla! web site, and organize them into categories. You can then display these links on your site, and optionally let visitors add new links.
- Ordering. You can change the order of an item within a list as follows:
- If the list Filter Options include a Position filter select the desired Position. This will limit the list to items that are assigned to that Position.
- Select the Ordering icon in the Table heading to make it the active ordering item. The ordering icons in each row will change from light grey to dark grey and the pointer will change to a drag arrow on hover.
- Select one of the Ordering icons and drag it up or down to change the position of that row in the list. The items will display in the new order within the Position.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Status: Published status of the item. Possible values are:
- Published: The item is published. This is the only state that will allow regular website users to view this item.
- Unpublished: The item is unpublished.
- Archived: The item has been archived.
- Trashed: The item has been sent to the Trash.
- Title. The name of the item. For a Menu Item, the Title will display in the Menu. For an Article or Category, the Title may optionally be displayed on the web page. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Category. The Category this item belongs to. See Web Links Category Manager - Edit.
- Access. The viewing Access Level for this item.
- Hits. The number of times an item has been viewed.
- Language. Item language.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays "0" until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
The List Filters, show above the table on the left and on the right. These filters are controls that let you limit what items show in the manager screen. More than one filter may be entered. In this case, only items that meet all of the filter conditions will show on the list.
These column sorting input fields shows the current method of sorting applied to the list. Use the drop-down field choices and click the column heading name. Alternatively, click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value. This will also change the value in the drop-down field to correspond with the column header name. The list will then be sorted in order by that column and a sort icon(up or down arrow) will show next to the column name. Click a second time to reverse the sort, which will change the corresponding drop-down field.
- Ordering: (default). The column in which to sort displayed items in the table. The values are the same as the column heading names.
- Ascending (default). Shows ordering of selected column, ascending or descending.
- # (default is 20). Shows the number of items to display on one page, default is 20 items. If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons located at the bottom of the table. (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages.
Search Tools Above the table is a filter or search field and two buttons.
- To filter in title, enter part of the title and click Search. Click Clear to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
- To enable more Filters, click on Search Tools.
Filter by Published State, Category, Access, Language, Max Levels and Tag Type
- Select Status. Select from Trashed / Unpublished / Published / Archived / All.
- Select Category. Select from the list of available categories.
- Select Access. Select from the list of available viewing access levels.
- Select Language. Select from the list of available languages.
- Select Max Levels. Select from the list of available levels.
Page Controls. When the number of items is more than one page, you will see a page control bar near the bottom of the page shown in the Screenshot above. The current page number being viewed has a dark colour background.
- Start. Click to go to the first page.
- Prev. Click to go to the previous page.
- Page numbers. Click to go to the desired page.
- Next. Click to go to the next page.
- End. Click to go to the last page.
At the top you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new web link.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected web link. If more than one web link is selected (where applicable), only the first web link will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Name of the web link.
- Publish. Makes the selected web link available to visitors to your website.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected web links unavailable to visitors to your website.
- Archive. Changes the status of the selected web links to indicate that they are archived. Archived web links can be moved back to the published or unpublished state by selecting 'Archived' in the 'Select Status' filter and changing the status of the web links.
- Check-In. Checks-in the selected web links. Works with one or multiple web links selected.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected web links to indicate that they are trashed.Trashed web links can still be recovered by selecting 'Trashed' in the 'Select Status' filter and changing the status of the articles to Published or Unpublished as preferred.To permanently delete trashed web links, select 'Trashed' in the 'Select Status' filter, select the web links to be permanently deleted, then click the 'Empty Trash' toolbar icon.
- Batch. Batch processes the selected web links. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
- You need to add at least one Category for Web Links before you can add your first Web Link. Categories are added using the Web Link Category Manager.