From Joomla! Documentation
Overrides allow you to change a core Joomla string.
In the Joomla code, text strings that are to appear in the User Interface, either the Site interface or the Administrator interface, are expressed as string constants. For example, the string Your session has expired. Please log in again. is expressed as JLIB_ENVIRONMENT_SESSION_EXPIRED. The text string can be translated into any language. The default language is British English. There are thousands of such strings in a Joomla installation.
If a string does not suit your site you can use the Language Override feature to replace the original.
How to Access
- Select System → Manage Panel → Language Overrides
Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Constant. The constant in the code created by the developer.
- Text. The text substituted for the constant in the override. Select the constant link to edit this item.
- Language Tag. The language that this override is used for.
- Location. Site or Administrator.
- Select Language and Client. The drop down list shows languages installed for Site and Administrator interfaces.
Search bar. Near the top of the page you will see the search bar shown in the Screenshot above.
- Search by Text. Enter part of the search term and click the Search icon. Hover to see a Tooltip indicating which fields will be searched.To 'Search by ID' enter "id:x", where "x" is the ID number (for example, "id:19").
- Filter Options. Click to display the additional filters.
- Clear. Click to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
- Ordering. Shows the current list ordering field. 2 ways to change the order:
- Select from the dropdown list. Ordering may be in ascending or descending order.
- Click a column heading. The column heading toggles between ascending and descending order.
- Number to Display. Shows the number of items in a list. Select from the dropdown list to change the number displayed.The default for a site is '20' but this may be changed in the Global Configuration.
- This list has no filter options
At the top of the page you will see the toolbar shown in the Screenshot above. The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new item.
- Delete: Deletes the selected items. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Clear Cache. Clear the available extension update information displayed in the listing.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
- Help. Opens this help screen.