From Joomla! Documentation
The Multilingual Associations Component is a tool that allows editing of associated items side-by-side without the need to go back and forth. For example, an article in English can be more easily translated into French with the original and translation side by side. And then select German to translate from English to German too. The component may be applied to other content types too, for example Contacts, Menus and News Feeds. This screen is used to set up an Association between an item and installed site languages.
How to Access
Select Components → Multilingual Associations from the Administrator menu.
In the Associations table, the columns are listed below. Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
- Status. (Published/Unpublished/Trashed) The published status of the item.
- Title. The name of the item. For a Menu Item, the Title will display in the Menu. For an Article or Category, the Title may optionally be displayed on the web page. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Language. Item language.
- Associations: Shows which language this item is associated.
- Not Associated: Shows for which languages this item is not associated.
- Access. The viewing Access Level for this item.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays "0" until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
Filter by Type. Lets you show only items assigned to a specific type. The list box will show the types defined.
- - Select Type -: Show items assigned to any type.
- <your type>: Show items assigned only to this type.
- Select Language. Select from the list of available languages.
Search bar. Near the top of the page you will see the search bar shown in the Screenshot above.
- Search by Text. Enter part of the search term and click the Search icon. Hover to see a Tooltip indicating which fields will be searched.To 'Search by ID' enter "id:x", where "x" is the ID number (for example, "id:19").
- Filter Options. Click to display the additional filters.
- Clear. Click to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
- Ordering. Shows the current list ordering field. 2 ways to change the order:
- Select from the dropdown list. Ordering may be in ascending or descending order.
- Click a column heading. The column heading toggles between ascending and descending order.
- Number to Display. Shows the number of items in a list. Select from the dropdown list to change the number displayed.The default for a site is '20' but this may be changed in the global configuration.
Filter by Published State, Category and Viewing Access level
Filter by Published Status. Lets you show only items with the selected published status.
- - Select Status -: Shows items that are Published and Unpublished. Does not show items that are Trashed or Archived.
- Trashed: Shows only items that are Trashed. Important Note: To permanently delete items:
- Change the status of the items to Trashed.
- Change the Status filter to Trashed. At this point the trashed items will show and an icon called "Empty trash" will show in the toolbar.
- Select the desired trashed items and click on "Empty Trash" in the toolbar. The items will be permanently deleted.
- Unpublished: Shows only items that are Unpublished.
- Published: Shows only items that are Published.
- Archived: Shows only items that are Archived.
- All: Shows all items regardless of published status.
Filter by Category. Lets you show only items assigned to a specific category. The list box will show the categories defined for your site.
- - Select Category -: Show items assigned to any category.
- <your category>: Show items assigned only to this category.
Filter by Viewing Access Level. Lets you show only items that have a specified viewing access level. The list box will show the access levels defined for your site, similar to the example below.
- - Select Access -: Show items with any viewing access level.
- <access level group>: Show items only with this viewing access level.
Prior to selection of an Item Type and Language the toolbar at the top has four buttons. The first two disappear after selection:
The functions are:
- Delete All Associations. Lets you delete all associations. After a question to confirm, all associations will be deleted.
- Delete Orphans. Lets you delete all orphans. After a question to confirm, all orphans will be deleted
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
|Related Help Screens||Description|
|Multilingual Associations: Edit||Used to add or edit associations between languages displayed on multilingual your Joomla! website.|
|Multilingual Associations: Options||Default permissions used for all content in the Multilingual Associations Component|