Extensions Module Manager Edit
From Joomla! Documentation
The Extensions Module Manager Edit (New) allows editing an existing Module or creating a new Module by Module type.
How to Access
- Select System → Manage Panel → Site Modules from the Administrator menu. Or...
- Select System → Manage Panel → Administrator Modules from the Administrator menu. Then...
- Select the 'New' button in the Toolbar to create a new Module. Or...
- Select a Module title in the Title column to edit that module.
For a New module there is a list of all Site or Administrator installed modules to choose from:
Select one to move on to the edit screen.
The Module Tab of a Module Edit screen is dependent on Module Type. The Breadcrumbs site module is illustrated here. For other Modules please see Related information below for links to specific module types.
- Title. The Title for this item. This may or may not display on the page, depending on the parameter values you choose.
The content of the left panel depends on module type and is not covered here.
The right panel is common to all modules.
- Show Title. Whether or not to show the Module's Title.
- Position. Choose the module position you wish this module to be displayed in. A custom module position can be entered for use with the load position plugin or the position button can be pressed to select a module position from the template.
- Status. The published status of this item.
- Published: Item is visible in the Frontend of the site.
- Unpublished: Item is will not be visible to guests in the Frontend of the site. It may be visible to logged in users who have edit state permission for the item.
- Archived: Item will no longer show on blog or list menu items.
- Trashed: Item is deleted from the site but still in the database. It can be permanently deleted from the database with the Empty Trash function in Toolbar (see also Deleting an Article).
- Start Publishing. Date and time to start publishing. Use this field if you want to enter content ahead of time and then have it published automatically at a future time.
- Finish Publishing. Date and time to finish publishing. Use this field if you want to have content automatically changed to Unpublished state at a future time (for example, when it is no longer applicable).
- Access. Select the viewing access level for this item from the list box. The access levels that display will depend on the what has been set up for this site in Users → Access Levels. Note that access levels are separate from ACL permissions. Access levels control what a user can see. ACL permissions control what actions a user can perform.
- Ordering. You can change the order of an item within a list as follows:
- If the list Filter Options include a Position filter select the desired Position. This will limit the list to items that are assigned to that Position.
- Select the Ordering icon in the Table heading to make it the active ordering item. The ordering icons in each row will change from light grey to dark grey and the pointer will change to a drag arrow on hover.
- Select one of the Ordering icons and drag it up or down to change the position of that row in the list. The items will display in the new order within the Position.
- Language. Select the language for this item. If you are not using the multi-language feature of Joomla, keep the default of 'All'.
- Note. This is normally for the site administrator's use (for example, to document information about this item) and does not show in the Frontend of the site.
Menu Assignment Tab
This tab view contains all the menu items configured in your Joomla! website. This will allow selection of where to show a module by content page associated with menu item.
Menu Assignment Tab - Module Assignment
- Module Assignment. Click for drop down choice of module assignment
- On all pages. Module will show on all pages in the selected module position.
- No pages. Module will not show on any pages in the selected module position.
- Only on the pages selected. Module will show only on pages in the selected module position as selected by menu item type(title). See Menu Selection below.
- On all pages except those selected. Module will show on all pages in the selected module position, except those selected by menu item type(title). See Menu Selection below.
Menu Assignment Tab - Menu Selection
- Menu Selection. This will only appear if the Only on pages selected or On all pages except those selected is chosen as the Module Assignment as detailed above.
To apply the module to a menu item's corresponding web page(title), check the box next to the menu item.
- Click the Select: All or None to toggle the selection of menu items.
- Click the Expand: All or None to toggle the tree view for selection of menu items.
Note: If a checkbox is grayed out and cannot be checked then it could be because the menu item is in use by another user. You can see if this is the case by going to the menu manager screen for the menu concerned. If there is a padlock symbol next to the menu item then it is currently in use by another user.
At the top of the page you will see the toolbar shown in the Screenshot above. The functions are:
- Save. Saves the item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another item.
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current item. Does not affect the current item. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new item.
- Cancel. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made. Or
- Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new item.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
|Related Help Screens
|Site Modules: Articles - Archived
|This module shows a list of the calendar months containing archived articles. After you have changed the status of an article to archived, this list will be automatically generated.
|Site Modules: Articles - Categories
|This module displays a list of categories from one parent category.
|Site Modules: Articles - Category
|This module displays a list of published articles from one or more categories.
|Site Modules: Articles - Newsflash
|The Article Newsflash Module will display a fixed number of Articles from a specific Category or a set of Categories.
|Site Modules: Articles -Related
|This Module shows a list of Articles that are related to the current Article being viewed by the user (for example, a Article Layout or a Blog or List layout where the user has clicked on an Article link). Articles are considered to be related to each other if they share at least one Keyword in the Article's Metadata Information. Article Keywords are entered in the Metadata Information section of the Article Manager - New/Edit screen.
|The Banner Module displays the active Banners from the Component.
|Site Modules: Breadcrumbs
|This Module shows a set of navigation links that illustrates where you are inside the web site and allows you to navigate back.
|Site Modules: Custom
|This allows you to create a Module that contains any valid HTML code. There are many cases where you might want to put free-form HTML inside a web page. For example, you might want to create an HTML Image Map or you might want to copy HTML code from PayPal, Amazon, or some other site.
|Site Modules: Feed Display
|This Module shows an RSS News Feed from a website. This Module is not related to the News Feeds Component or the News Feeds Layouts and is an alternative that allows a feed to display in a Module position.
|Site Modules: Footer
|This Module displays the web site copyright and Joomla! license information.
|Site Modules: Language Switcher
|This module allows you to switch between available Content languages. Selecting a language will take you to the home page for that language.
|Site Modules: Articles - Latest
|This Module shows a list of the most recently published Articles.
|Site Modules: Latest Users
|The Latest Users module will display the latest users which registred at the website.
|Site Modules: Login
|This Module displays a username and password Login form. It also displays a link to retrieve a forgotten password. If User registration is enabled in the User Settings of the Global Configuration screen, then the link "Create an Account" will be shown to invite Users to self-register.
|Site Modules: Menu
|This Module allows you to place your Menus on the page. Every Joomla! website has at least one Menu that is created in the Menu Manager screen. The Menu Module allows you place all or part of the selected Menu at the desired position and on the desired web pages.
|Site Modules: Articles - Most Read
|This Module displays a list of Articles with the highest hit counts.
|Site Modules: Random Image
|This Module displays a random image from a directory.
|Extensions Module Manager Search
|This Module displays a Search entry field where the user can type in a phrase and press 'Enter' to search the web site.
|Site Modules: Smart Search
|Smart Search is an enhanced site search.
|Site Modules: Statistics
|The Statistics Module shows information about your server installation together with statistics on the Web site users, number of Articles in your database and the number of Web links you provide.
|Site Modules: Syndication Feeds
|This Module creates a RSS Feed link for the page. This allows a User to create a newsfeed for the current page. An example is shown below.
|Site Modules: Tags - Popular
|Displays tags used on a site in a tag cloud or list.
|Site Modules: Tags - Similar
|Displays links to other items with similar tags.
|Extensions Module Manager Weblinks
|The Weblinks module will display weblinks from within the Weblinks component.
|Site Modules: Who's Online
|The "Who's Online" module displays information about users that are visiting your site at a particular moment.
|Site Modules: Wrapper
|The wrapper module allows you to display an external website in a module. The functionality is the same to that of the 'iFrame Wrapper' you can add as a menu item. If the page to which the wrapper is linked is too big, bars will be shown below and to the right of the wrapper, allowing you to "navigate" the page.
|The Module Manager is where you add and edit Joomla! Modules. In Joomla!, Modules are used to display content and/or media around the main content.
Module Facts: All Joomla! websites require at least 1 Menu Module All Other Module Types are Optional. (Examples: News, Banner, Latest News) Every Menu is accompanied by a menu module. (Example mod_mainmenu) Multiple occurrences of similar module types.
Some Modules are linked to components. For example, each Menu Module is related to one Menu component. To define a Menu in Joomla!, you need to create the Menu and Menu Items using the Menus screens and then create the Module for the Menu using this screen. Other Modules, such as Custom and Breadcrumbs, do not depend on any other content. See Module Manager - New/Edit for information about the different Module Types. The Joomla! installation is accompanied with 20 module types, additional 3rd party modules can be located at the JED.