Update Working Group
From Joomla! Documentation
(Redirected from Update and Migration Working Group)
The Update Working Group is the Production Working Group that is responsible for finding ways to make updating, upgrading, or migrating Joomla!, a simpler and smoother experience.
Official support for Joomla! 2.5 is scheduled to end at the end of 2014. Users need to be encouraged to start planning and upgrading to Joomla! 3.x. Tips and resources will help to prevent issues during upgrading, and remove anxiety from the upgrade process.
A large number of Joomla! web sites are still on 1.5.x. These users require a lot more help and guidance to successfully migrate their websites to 3.x.
The Update Working Group will collate current resources relating to Joomla! upgrades and migrations, write new content where needed, and liaise with Documentation, Production and Marketing to coordinate efforts.
- Coordinator(s): open to a volunteer, please contact Tom
- PLT Contacts: Tom Hutchison
- George Wilson, Jennifer Gress, Nick Savov, Connie Lippert, see Volunteer Portal for a more detailed list of our volunteers
How do I volunteer?
Please send an email to Jacques or one of the PLT contacts and you will be added to the communication channel for this working group.
The next steps in this team are:
1. Documentation (docs.joomla.org)
- locate, organize and update current content. (update 13 Apr 2015 - small number of articles (mainly legacy) need to be sorted out more)
add new content where needed.
structure for Update (update, upgrade, migration) content
2. Production (changes to the CMS)
- Finding solutions to assist users before and during upgrade/migration, for instance:
pre-upgrade-check to see if server or extensions are compatible.
post-upgrade-check to see if update completed without error, and if not, to roll back update.(dropped)
An official Project-supported migration tool for 1.5 to 3.x.(dropped)
Finding and fixing any upgrade-related bugs(out of scope)
Working with Extension developers to ensure smooth upgrades.
3. Marketing (content for joomla.org, PR and Social Media)
Create dedicated section on joomla.org that collates all the upgrade information, and guides the user through the process or toward resources.
Create visual help
- Promote this Upgrade recourse via events, conferences, PR, releases, social media
- Magazine articles on migrations, building a knowledge base
Translate content into multiple languages(Translation Teams and other volunteers).
- 17 August 2014: Initial information
- 6 Sept 2014: Update Working Group Meeting
Events are shown in time zone: GMT (no daylight saving or UTC + 0)
Known Content on Joomla! Documentation
This is a list of known articles on JDocs. To add a page, just add the Category: Update Working Group to the page. "Edit the page found, at the bottom add
[[Category:Update Working Group]].
- J2.5:Adapting a Joomla 1.5 extension to Joomla 2.5
- Copying a Joomla website
- Copying a website from localhost to a remote host
- Fixing the assets table
- How to restore a Joomla 2.5 site if you accidentally migrate to Joomla 3.x.x
- J3.x:Insert error in menu table of migrated data
- Joomla 3 FAQ
- Joomla 3 FAQ/en
- Talk:Migrating from Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 1.6+
- J2.5 talk:Migrating from Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 2.5
- Moving the site among directories/sub-directories
- Potential backward compatibility issues in Joomla 1.7 and Joomla Platform 11.2
- Potential backward compatibility issues in Joomla 2.5 and Joomla Platform 11.4
- Potential backward compatibility issues in Joomla 3 and Joomla Platform 12.2
- Should I update from Joomla! 2.5 to 3.x?
- Should I update from Joomla! 2.5 to 3.x?/en
- J3.x:Updating from an existing version
- J3.x:Updating from an existing version/en
- Upgrading 1.6.5 to 1.7
- Portal:Upgrading Versions
- Portal:Upgrading Versions/en
- J2.5:Upgrading a Joomla 1.5 template to Joomla 2.5
- Archived:Version 1.6 Developer Notes
- J2.5:What's new in Joomla 2.5
Known Content not on Joomla! Documentation
Please list content for updating, upgrading and migrating in this section.