Upgrading 1.5 from an existing 1.5x version
From Joomla! Documentation
(Redirected from Upgrading 1.5 from an existing 1.5x version)
It is risky to upgrade a live site without testing the upgrade process first. So before upgrading the live site you need to set up a test site which is as close as possible to the configuration of your live site, then test the upgrade on that. When you are happy with the process you can apply it to the live site (having taken a fresh backup of the live site first, of course).
You can also use a Joomla! extension to automate the process of loading version updates. See Update Manager for Joomla! for more information.
Review the release notes for the new version.
When upgrading from a version that is not the most recent, review release notes for the prior releases.
Step 1: Download the upgrade file
To download the most recent patch package and to obtain the MD5 hash:
- Visit the release download index.
- Find the correct update file. The Joomla 1.5 downloads are located at the bottom of the page.
- If you are on the version prior to the current one, use the file that updates from the prior version to the current version (for example, Joomla_1.5.25_to_1.5.26-Stable-Patch_Package).
- If you are on an older version, use the 1.5.0 to current version file (for example, Joomla_1.5.0_to_1.5.26-Stable-Patch_Package).
- Select the archive format (zip, tar.gz or tar.bz2) that is most convenient for you.
- Verify the download using the MD5 hash listed in the right column on the same line as the package you selected.
If you have questions about these instructions, read the Additional Information below this table.
|What is a patch?|
|Which package format should I use?|
|How do I use the MD5 hash to check the package?|
Step 2: Backup your site
Before you actually upgrade, you really should make a backup of your site. Backup your existing Joomla site files and store all the files and database in case something gets messed up, you wont have any problem reverting back.
All upgrades should be first tested on a copy of your site before being applied to a live site.
Step 3: Copy the upgrade files
There are different ways of installing a package file depending on your particular circumstances. If you have difficulty with one of these methods, then simply try another.
|Unpacking a package file|
- Alternative 1: Unpack the package file on your local computer then use an FTP client to upload them to your site.
|Using an FTP client to upload files|
- Alternative 2: Use an FTP client to upload the package to your site, then use a terminal session (eg. SSH) to connect to your site and unpack the files there.
|Using a terminal session|
- Alternative 3: If your hosting provider gives you access to your site via some sort of web control panel like CPanel or Plesk, you can use the control panel file manager to upload the package, then use a terminal session (which might also be available via the control panel) to unpack the package file and overwrite all changed files on the server.
- If you are using CPanel, there is specific information on Uploading and extracting an archive file with CPanel.
Step 4: Check your live site to make sure it is working correctly
Don't assume that the upgrade will work flawlessly just because the test upgrade worked. Check to make sure that nothing untoward has happened. It could be that differences between the live site and test site platforms will bring out a problem that you did not notice during testing. If you find a problem and it cannot be resolved quickly you might have to rollback the upgrade using the backup copy you created in step 2.
Hopefully all will be well and you can relax. If you have any questions before, during, or after the upgrade then please ask them on the Joomla! 1.5 Migrating and Upgrading Forum.
Return to Upgrade Instructions