From Joomla! Documentation
How To Access
To create a new List News Feed Category Menu Item:
- Select Menus → [name of the menu] from the drop-down menu on the back-end of your Joomla! installation (for example, Menus → Main Menu).
- Click the New Toolbar button to create a new menu item.
- Click the Menu Item Type Select button and then click the List News Feed Category Menu Item link under Newsfeeds link.
To edit an existing List News Feeds Category Menu Item, click its Title in Menu Manager: Menu Items.
Used to show a list of all RSS News Feeds in a Category. Depending on the selected options for this layout, you can include subcategories of a News Feed category.
For more information please see Menu Item Manager: Details Tab
This layout requires a category selection. This is done in the list box shown above in the screenshot. Select the desired top-level category. All child categories can be shown in the selected category if sub categories are selected to be shown in the 'Category Options' Tab.
- Choose a Category. The items that are within this category will be displayed.
- Menu Title: The title that will display for this menu item.
- Parent Item: The menu that this menu item (choice) will be part of. The menus defined for the site will show in the list box.
Advanced Details Tab
Category Options control the appearance of the screen when you click on a category link. The following options are available.
- Category Title. (Use Global/Hide/Show) If Show, the Category Title will show as a subheading on the page. The subheading is usually displayed inside the H2 tag.
- Category Description. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or hide the description of the selected Category.
- Category Image. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or hide the image of the selected Category.
- Subcategory Levels. (Use Global/All/1-5) The number of subcategory levels to display. Select All to show all levels in the subcategory hierarchy.
- Empty Categories. (Use Global/Hide/Show) If Show, empty categories will display. A category is only empty if it has no items or subcategories.
- Subcategories Descriptions. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or hide the subcategories descriptions.
- Feeds in Category. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or hide the number of News Feeds in a Category.
List Layout Options
The List Layout Options control the appearance of the category drill-down page when that is presented as a Category List. The following options are available:
- Filter Field: (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to show a Filter field for the list. Select Hide to hide the filer field
- Display Select. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to hide or show the Display # control that allows the user to select the number of items to show in the list. An example of how it is shown in the Front End (website) view below.
- If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages. Note that if you have a large number of items, it may be helpful to use the Filter options, located above the column headings, to limit which items display.
- Table Headings. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Table Headings show a heading above a list, like generic heading image shown below.
- If set to Show, this heading will show above the list. If set to Hide, the list will show with no headings.
- # Articles. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or hide the number of Articles in each News Feed. Other options are available to set this value in each individual News Feed.
- Feed Links. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or hide the feed links URLs.
- Pagination. Hide or Show Pagination support. Pagination provides page links at the bottom of the page that allow the User to navigate to additional pages. These are needed if the listed items will not fit on one page. An example is shown below.
- The following options are available.
- Auto: Pagination links shown if needed.
- Show: Pagination links shown if needed.
- Hide: Pagination links not shown. Note: In this case, Users will not be able to navigate to additional pages.
- Pagination Results. Hide or Show the current page number and total pages (e.g., "Page 1 of 2") at the bottom of each page. Use Global will use the default value from the component options.
Feed Display Options
The List All Categories Layout has the following Feed Display Options, as shown below.
The List All News Feed Categories Layout has the following Feed Display Options, as shown below. In addition to Yes/No or Hide/Show, these options allow the "Use Global" setting. This uses the default value from News Feeds Manager Options.
The Feed Display Options are as follows.
- Feed Image. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or hide the image of News Feeds.
- Feed Description. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Hide or Show the description text of the News Feed.
- Feed Content. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or hide the content of News Feeds.
- Characters count. Number of characters to show if Feed Content from News Feeds is set to show.
- Feed display order. (Use Global/Most recent first/Oldest first) Select the feed display order, most recent first, oldest first, or Global, the setting in News Feeds Options.
Module Assignments Tab
At the top left you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the menu item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the menu item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the menu item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another menu item.
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current menu item. Does not affect the current menu item. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new menu item.
- Cancel. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Categories can be "nested" into levels, similar to folders on a disk drive. In theory there is no absolute limit on the number of levels you can have. However, as a practical matter it is recommended to keep the levels to a minimum. The Show All Categories layout may not work correctly if the number of levels shown is greater than five.
- If you set up category titles as linkable, the user can drill down on the category. If there is a pre-existing menu item for this category (for example, a Category List menu item), then that menu item will show in the drill down and the options set for that menu item will control the page display. Otherwise, the options set for the current Show All Categories menu item will control the page display.
- You can set the option to drill down to a list in two places.
- Categories are created using Category Manager: Edit A Newsfeeds Category.
|Related Help Screens||Description|
|Tom Hutchison/InputBox Testing|
|Tom Hutchison/Wiki Testing Page|