Web Services Working Group
From Joomla! Documentation
The Web Services Working Group is a Production Working Group.
Coordinators & PLT Contact
- The coordinator for this working group is Ashwin Date (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The PLT Contact for this working group is Chris Davenport (mailto:email@example.com).
- Web Services in Joomla: A Roadmap
- Web Services Working Group update 4 June 2012
- Request for comments on first draft of web API specification
- Request for comments on second draft of web services API specification
- Thinking outside the platform is a general introduction to the importance of web services in Joomla.
- Recommended reading: Web API Design by Brian Mulloy, Apigee (NOTE: Registration required)
- Stefan Neculai is a GSoC student working on a Web service API. Read about him in the Joomla Magazine.
- Aaron Schmitz has done some work on an OAuth 2.0 library
- Louis Landry has created an OAuth connector. Also take a look at Louis's new router proposal.
- [REST API by Techjoomla for Joomla Separate app approach Presentation | http://www.slideshare.net/coolbung/joomla-rest-api]
- [REST API by Techjoomla for Joomla Separate app approach Github | https://github.com/techjoomla/Joomla-REST-API]
- [com_api approach | https://github.com/techjoomla/com_api]
- [com_api Plugins | https://github.com/techjoomla/com_api-plugins]
- Rafael Corral's web API extension for Joomla 2.5
- Note on current architecture used in Joomla 2.5
- Herman Peeren's presentation at J and Beyond 2010
- API Craft mailing list.
- Proof-of-concept implementation of draft API specification for Joomla 3.x.
- Taking a REST and being HAPI - Chris Davenport's presentation at J and Beyond 2013 - Slides also available from Slideshare
- hal+json specification
- Don't worry be “API” - best practices and implementation - Pierre André Vullioud's Slides of his presentation at J and Beyond 2013
- Test API for Joomla using SlimFramework by pvullioud. For this example only basic tags are supported
Create a POC using com_users by using the extending it to add webservices to Adding, Editing users, Listing users. Added by Parth Lawate as per webservices group discussion at #JWC12
Technical work produced by this group
- 24 Dec 2012: First draft of Request For Comments: A Web Service API for the Joomla CMS
- 10 Feb 2012: Second draft of Web Services API Specification
- Joomla CMS Web Services API Specification
- application/vnd.joomla.base.v1 media type specification
- application/vnd.joomla.service.v1 media type specification
- application/vnd.joomla.item.v1 media type specification
- application/vnd.joomla.list.v1 media type specification
- Joomla CMS Web Service API Implementation
- Joomla CMS CLI Services API Specification
Primary communications channel is the Joomla CMS Development mailing list. If the volume of traffic becomes such that it might be deemed to be a nuisance by those not interested in web services, then we will most likely start a separate mailing list.
There is also a Glip chat  for informal communications. Please request to be added by contacting Ashwin Date or Chris Davenport. There was Slack chat and a Skype chat but these are no longer used.
- 19 May 2012: Meeting at J and Beyond 2012, Bad Nauheim, Germany.
- 17 November 2012: Meeting at Joomla World Conference, San Jose, California.
- 31 May - 2 June 2013: Meeting during J and Beyond 2013, Noordwijkerhout, The Netherlands.
- 10 November 2013: Meeting during Joomla World Conference, Boston, USA.